can't view source html - what am I doing wrong?

powertool 19:05 30 Nov 03

I wonder if you can help me. I can right-click and get the menu, but now when I select View Source nothing happens. Same if I go via the View menu. This even happens on my own pages so I know there isn't some javascript in there somewhere which is causing it.

Any suggestions?

your help, as always, much appreciated!

Taran 19:54 30 Nov 03

Try looking in the Program options in Internet Explorer (Tools, Internet Options, Programs) and see which program is set as the default web page editor.

Have you fully cleared your temporary Internet files ?

Try clearing the cache as this sometimes, on some systems, affects the view source properties of the browser.

This is a solution I read about online but I've not tried it so I've no clue whether it works or not:

1. Close any instances of IE.

2. Create this registry key if it does not already exist (chances are it does not exist):
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name]

3. Modify the Default value of the "Editor Name" to the path of the program you want to use to view source code. For example, "C:\Program Files\Accessories\wordpad.exe" or "C:\Windows\notepad.exe"

I have my suspicions of that method.

An MSDN page for those who need to change registry settings for View Source click here

Microsoft Knowledge Base Solutions:

click here

click here

click here

and

click here

Hope one of them helps.

Regards

Taran

phil 20:48 30 Nov 03

Just clear your temporary files. That's all.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:01 01 Dec 03

Next to your printer icon on your toolbar you should have a picture of a notepad and pen with the tooltip 'edit'. Click on this and notepad will open with the code in it.

Good luck, Whiz...

powertool 20:41 01 Dec 03

Clearing the temp files did the trick - no need to go near the scary regedit.

Barry - on my toolbar the edit icon is grayed out however, the right click route works.

Thanks to all - as usual - I don't know what I would do without this site!

Pesala 20:44 01 Dec 03

(~_~)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…