can't view jpg/gifs as wallpaper in win98se

Simac 12:40 23 Apr 04

I am trying to cusomise my wallpaper backgorund theme using a jpg/gif image, for some unknown reason it does not show the image instead it shows an icon in the topleft hand corner, this icon is similar to what you would see if you were trying to view a web page off-line yet i only want to create it as a wallpaper background

any solutions

Sethhaniel 12:48 23 Apr 04

to view other than .BMP

pj123 13:02 23 Apr 04

Needs to be a bitmap (.bmp) to show up. Use Irfanview or Paintshop Pro to save it as a bitmap and save it in C:\windows.

Simac 15:10 23 Apr 04

I do enable active desktop but still won't work

As for the other message from pj123, you should be able to use jpg/gif in win98se, not just bitmaps

pj123 15:58 23 Apr 04

Simac. Sorry to disappoint you but I have just tried a .jpg and (like I said) it doesn't work. I resaved it as a bitmap (.bmp) and saved it in C:\windows and it works fine. I re-iterate wallpaper (background) has to be a bitmap saved in c:\windows. Try it for yourself, find the jpg/gif you want and convert it to a bmp, and save it in c:\windows.

Xevious 16:06 23 Apr 04

what pj123 states. must be BMP

Simac 16:09 23 Apr 04

well i know other people using win98 se using jpeg/gif as wallpaper and they are not having problems. plus a few months back b4 i reformatted i was able to myself, but now can't

Xevious 16:11 23 Apr 04

got me there then!

pj123 16:18 23 Apr 04

Who are these "other people" and get them to prove it to you, because I know it won't work.

mammak 16:24 23 Apr 04

Whiles using win 98se' all my pics were jpgs and i saved them as background,even my camera phone are jpgs' and my daughter whom has now got the 98se pc' still saves them as jpgs.Regards Mammak

pj123 17:56 23 Apr 04

Yes, as you say most pictures from Digital Cameras and Mobiles are saved as jpegs, but to use them as a background on your desktop they need to be converted to bitmaps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…