Can`t use search engines

happymonkey 22:22 10 Nov 03

Hi all

Could any of you clever guys help me with this. Everytime I use a search engine like virgin(google) or yahoo, and I put a request in, a page not found screen pops up. If I try and access by typing in the URL at the top of the screen, it takes me to a site called Cpanel? Very strange. This also happens if I type in askjeeves or altavista. I have run the Spybot program and have deleted the results it has found but this doesn`t fix the problem. Any thoughts oh wise ones?

Valvegrid 22:28 10 Nov 03

Yes, it's a Trojan.Qhosts and it diverts the request for the search engine to cpanel, they are aware of the problem:

click here

This describes what it is and there is a removal tool to downlod:

click here

Valvegrid 22:35 10 Nov 03

By the way, pay particular attention to section:

5. Reversing the changes made to the Hosts file

You will have to remove the references in the hosts file manually, it does describe it quite well how to do this.

Valvegrid 22:39 10 Nov 03

Lastly, don't forget to get the security patch from Mr Gates:

click here

Otherwise you get re-infected.

happymonkey 22:41 10 Nov 03

Hey Paul

Thanks for your quick response. I`ll try what you suggested straight away. Thanks again.

happymonkey 18:07 11 Nov 03

Hi Paul

I have ran the software download from Symantec and it has done a search of all drives but it said the computer contains no trojans?? I still cannot access any of the search engines. Ant more tips?

Valvegrid 06:57 12 Nov 03

Have you typed 'hosts' and removed all the references indicated in the Symantec Security response? If this is not done you'll still be diverted to Cpanel. Also it's important to download the patch to prevent reinfection. What system are you running? If it's XP you'll have to disable System Restore then remove the virus then follow the link to Microsoft on how to clean the restore file.

I had this virus at work which I removed myself without IT's help, because they couldn't.

Valvegrid 07:05 12 Nov 03

By the way, have you tried one of the Trojan removal programs like click here this virus has been around for some time now, so they should be up to speed with it.

Also have you got an anti virus program installed? If you don't this is a pretty good one click here which will probably pick up this type of virus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…