Cant use installed boss font unless cd is in

sorbus 19:50 06 Mar 05

Have installed a font from a cd but can only use it with the cd in at the same time.Have tried removing read only, but access is denied. Is this something to do with the registry and if so, how do I make the neccessary changes? Please bear in mind that any advice will have to be very instuctive as I am only a beginner!
I am using windows xp home.

Diodorus Siculus 19:54 06 Mar 05

Try this:

copy the file from the CD to the desktop

Right click on the font and get properties; remove read only attribute

Go to control panel, fonts, install font.

Navigate to the desktop.

Select font.

Hopefully that should do it.

sorbus 20:03 06 Mar 05

Will try now but might take a while as i am very slow! Thanks for such a quick response.

sorbus 20:42 06 Mar 05

o.k, have font file on desktop,have add fonts box up from control panel (and says no fonts found)how do i add the file from the desk top?

Pesala 20:46 06 Mar 05

Open the fonts folder and drag the font into it.

sorbus 21:31 06 Mar 05

Thats amazing, can now use the font without the cd! Thanks very, very much.There is still a slight problem though.... the documents that I transfered from my old computer that need the down loaded font as it is no longer available in the new m.s publisher,i am afraid they will not substitute for the new font. Any ideas?

Pesala 21:58 06 Mar 05

Try restarting MS Publisher, and the newly installed font will then be available.

sorbus 22:11 06 Mar 05

i am sorry to be such a dunce and thank you for your patience, but do you mean i should reload the microsoft office disc, and if this is the case do i have to uninstall then install again?

Gongoozler 22:14 06 Mar 05

sorbus, I think what Pesala is saying is that when you next start Publisher the new font should be available. If it isn't then I think it should be there when you next reboot the computer.

Pesala 22:16 06 Mar 05

If MS Publisher was already running when you installed the new font, it might not be available on the font list. Exit Publisher and restarting it should be enough. Rebooting the PC is sometimes necessary. Reinstalling Publisher is not necessary.

Is the font you just installed EXACTLY the same name as the one used in the old documents?

sorbus 22:37 06 Mar 05

the font is showing in the font list in office and i can use it on a new doc, but if i try to change text on an existing doc although the new font is available in the list it wont work and doesnt show a sample in the substitute font box. all other font choices work so i will reboot and see if that does the trick. the original font was tolkien and although the new one seems identical it is called kelt. fingers crossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac