Can't upgrade BIOS

zoobie 06:57 11 Aug 07

My BIOS shows my second 250gb HDD as only 57gb. I've decided to try to update the BIOS but when I go to esupport.com to run a scan, it requires an activex d/l. When the d/l starts, the screen goes blank and the computer restarts. I've gone thru the security settings which all are set to prompt. What's going on?
Thx

I am Spartacus 12:12 11 Aug 07

Do you know the make and model of your motherboard? You have to pay around $30 to get a BIOS update from that site. You should be able to get one free from the mobo manufacturer.

Also you may find a disk tool from the disk manufacturer that will solve your problem.

Totally-braindead 12:37 11 Aug 07

As I am Spartacus says you don't have to pay for a BIOS upgrade it will be free if you can identify the motherboard. I think I should mention a couple of things though, you don't mention anything about the spec of your computer and what you have already tried to get the drive recognised and there is no guarantee that a BIOS update will make any difference whatsoever. Secondly if the BIOS upgrade goes wrong you destroy the BIOS chip meaning you will probably have to buy a new motherboard.
Have you tried the hard drive manufacturers tools to format the drive? Seatools for Seagate drives etc.

paul€ 12:52 11 Aug 07

You have checked that there is no size limiting jumper in place.

If the bios can see a section of the hard drive, that means the bios can see the drive and does not need updating. If the drive was to big for the bios then it would not recognise any of that drive.

Check jumper positions, check in disk management for unallocated space, check you are using SP2 if an XP machine.

zoobie 01:04 12 Aug 07

yep...you're right. my BIOS is fine as it is. Thanks

paul€ 12:21 12 Aug 07

Thats good.

No need to flash a bios unless it is absolutely necessary, in my opinion and there was no need to do so.;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017