cant upgrade.....

hello everyone'
i recently bought my pc and im new 2 all this jargon. my problem is i cant upgrade microsoft. a message kept appearing on screen 2 upgrade but i kept saying no because i was'nt sure wat it actually meant? i went 2 the website 2 try and fix the problem but im denied accsses.i cant even download things because i did'nt upgrade 2 microsoft.have i made a mistake or is it curable? my pc is xp.
can anyone advice me please.

VoG II 22:49 09 Dec 03

Which website did you go to to try to upgrade Windows.

Were these messages in e-mails supposedly from Microsoft?

Presumably you have Windows XP?

trying to upgrade, windows? office? games?

also a bit more info like what connection you have dial up or adsl....

plsndrs3 22:54 09 Dec 03

Did it appear in a blue box with, I think, white writing?

thanks 4 replying 2 me..
the message kept popping up on screen everytime i was going on internet. it was microsoft more or less reminding me 2 upgrade but i kept refusing'as i said before i was'nt sure about it. now i know i should have done...example i downloaded norton antivirus' it came through ok but when i click 2 activate it... same message appeares need 2 upgrade windows. get in contact with microsoft..something like that? i just wish that message would appear now but it doe'snt network connection is origanally from brixton but now live in ireland.any ideas.... thanks

plsndrs3 23:32 09 Dec 03

If this is what I think it is, it's a scam.

Microsoft do not invite you to 'upgrade' - although it does advise you from time to time to update the product.

IF the essage appears in a blue box about half the size of your screen with white letters, then just ignore it. Why would you be updating the newest OS from Microsoft [at the moment] anyhow?

If, however, you are being advised to UPDATE, then this is most strange as Windows handles all this for you .....

VoG II 23:32 09 Dec 03

Again: where did you do the "update" from?

And, where did you download Norton from?

plsndrs3 23:33 09 Dec 03

Should read 'Why would you be upgrading'

i downloaded norton from symantec which is the company.
secondly.. whatever it is..upgrade or update it will not allow me 2 activate norton until i do so.i dont know why this is' its a real problem because i cant activate anything i download.thats all i can say really, its something 2 do with microsoft update or upgrade whichever it is. sorry i cant be more accurate its just im new 2 all this..thanks

VoG II 23:58 09 Dec 03

Try downloading AVG (free) from click here and running a scan.

If that won't run you've definitely been had by the "upgrade/update" message.

VoG II 00:03 10 Dec 03

Hang on - in your first post you said you couldn't download anything. You then said you downloaded Norton.

If you cannot download try an on-line virus scan such as click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…