cant update windows

William-173411 21:50 09 May 05

internet explorer will take me to the update page, where it scans my comp and then tells me what updates are available, but when I click on download or install, the download in progrss box comes up, but nothing happens. When I cancel the download, it says internet explorer has encountered an error, and must close. I report the error, and it tells me to go to a web page that gives advice on these kinds of crashes, that tells me to have an updated virus prog ( I do) and, or, a spyware, or adware anti prog( I do). I have no spyware or malware active on my comp, and no viruses at this time,but it still wont work. I tried reinstalling or repairing internet explorer 6 but it still wont allow me to download the updates...anyone have a solution?

GaT7 22:03 09 May 05

See if this helps: click here. G

GaT7 22:22 09 May 05

Also see click here.

If the Windows Update.log file contains different error code(s) post it/them here & we'll have a look for them in the MS knowledge base (at click here), or you could help yourself. Either way, let us know how you get on. G

William-173411 01:57 10 May 05

Thank you very much for that insight G , it was a big help. I found my problem at the data base. the solution was pretty simple,if it had worked. Here is my new problem, the solution said to re-register the following files, regsvr32 msscript.ocx, regsvr32 dispex.dll, regsvr32 vbscript.dll, regsvr32 scrrun.dll, which I tried to do , 3 of them went in no problem,however when trying to re- register the msscript.ocx file I got an error message it said" Load Library
( "msscript.ocr" ) failed, Get last error returns 0x00000485. When I went back to microsoft I searched for that error code and found it is an error code that comes up when regsvr32.exe is told to load a file, but the required library is missing.Unfortunately it didn't say what files or libraries were missing. The files that it said had to be in place for the regsvr32.exe to work are there. Should have been obvious seeing it loaded the other 3 . Any ideas as to what I can do next?

GaT7 20:16 10 May 05

wadeitz, did you try to update Windows again after the 'failed' repair? If not, try again.

Still no joy? Then run the System File Checker (SFC) utility, also known as 'scannow' (in WinXP). There's no guarantee it'll work, but worth a go I suppose. For WinXP SFC/scannow tutorials see: click here
& click here.

If you have any problems with SFC, post back & someone here will help. (I'm not too sure how to proceed further, especially if you're using WinXP.)

May also be worth setting a System Restore point (WinXP/ME), before running SFC in case things get worse - someone will need to back me up on this, as I'm unsure whether this is applicable here or not!

More Windows update fixes from MS: click here.

Good luck, G

GaT7 20:18 10 May 05

wadeitz, did you try to update Windows again after the 'failed' repair? If not, try again.

Still no joy? Then run the System File Checker (SFC) utility, also known as 'scannow' (in WinXP). There's no guarantee it'll work, but worth a go I suppose. For WinXP SFC/scannow tutorials see: click here
& click here.

If you have any problems with SFC, post back & someone here will help. (I'm not too sure how to proceed further, especially if you're using WinXP.)

May also be worth setting a System Restore point (WinXP/ME), before running SFC in case things get worse - someone will need to back me up on this, as I'm unsure whether this is applicable here or not!

More Windows update fixes from MS: click here.

Good luck, G

GaT7 20:20 10 May 05

Didn't mean to double post, sorry! G

William-173411 22:27 10 May 05

Hi G, well many things have happened since I last saw you. I went and downloaded a msscript.ocx file and re-registered the ocx file succesfully.still would not update. I took your advice and ran the SFC , found one file that was corrupted, setupx it was called , repaired it succesfully, still wont update. After all this it struck me about another problem I am having with internet explorer , and that is it wont execute a hyper link from an email or on some web pages, I wonder if there is a coralation, so until someone comes up with something new, I am going to try and see if I fix that, if it will fix my update problem. The install now button is a hyperlink of types isn't it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…