Can't Update Msn Messenger

fullerbonks 16:14 22 Nov 05

The problem I've got is I can't complete the latest msn messenger download.The download completes and then the installation at the death comes up with a notice quote "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Enter an alternative path to a folder containing installation package MsnMsgs.Msp in box below " end of quote.
The box below says "Use source" with a pull down with just "PatchSouceList"
I would like to solve this as I costantly get balloons from the taskbar telling me to update to the latest version. Please help, one genius will do !!!

mattyc_92 16:51 22 Nov 05

I don't class myself as a "genius", but I will try to help.... lol

Did you download the MSN Messenger installation via the "Save" button or the "Run" button?

fullerbonks 17:42 22 Nov 05

SAVE BUTTON.I'VE TRIED PROBABLY ABOUT 10 TIMES WITHOUT SUCCESS. IS IT THAT YOU THINK A RUN MAY DO IT???

fullerbonks 17:42 22 Nov 05

SAVE BUTTON.I'VE TRIED PROBABLY ABOUT 10 TIMES WITHOUT SUCCESS. IS IT THAT YOU THINK A RUN MAY DO IT???

Skyver 17:47 22 Nov 05

Are you using XP and logged in using an Administrators account? You can get the latest messenger (7.5) here instead if required click here

fullerbonks 18:05 22 Nov 05

thanks Skydiver the result is exactly the same. Its ridiculous really

Skyver 18:09 22 Nov 05

Have you got winzip or 7zip installed? Other ZIP programs may do the same; right click Install_MSN_Messenger.exe, and select extract, it will create two files called bootstrap.exe and msnmsgs.msi, double click the latter and see if it works then.

mattyc_92 19:21 22 Nov 05

Maybe a corrupt download(s) or "interupted" previous installation?

To check if it isn't the "corrupt download" theory, I could send you the installation if you wish (what I have used and can confirm that it works)....

Send me an e-mail (via the yellow envolope) and I will send you the Installion I have (if that helps).

mattyc_92 16:32 24 Nov 05

I have been helping fullerbonks via e-mail. All I have done so far is to send him the installation that I used.
Here is the latest e-mail I have had from him:

"Hi Matt,
You are a real toff going to so much trouble for me. .Believe me I do really appreciate it. However I decided yesterday to save all the data etc and do a new install as aside from the problem we are working on I had a number of other problems.Then to add to all that onetel keep telling me my server is almost full, despite me clearing all deletions etc until it is completely empty.
So!!! What I have done Matt is to save your 3 downloads which I will burn to dvd with the rest of my data. and as soon as poss I will do a new install of XP. The only worry I have with that is how to handle my Trend PC- cillin after, as it will take an eternity to update it(a very dodgy time.
Thanks again Matt, I will be in touch when all is completed, and keep you informed.
All the best,
Pete."

Just to keep everyone else informed... lol

fullerbonks 09:38 25 Nov 05

My sincerest thanks to you all for your helpful suggestions. I am very pleased to inform you that I now have successfully installed Messenger 7.5.
It has been a delight to be associated with such clever and helpful people.
Best regards
Pete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…