can't update AVG and can't delete it either

palinka 18:52 06 Mar 05

friend has just brought her laptop to me with this problem, when she tries to open AVG she gets a message headed "avgwb.dat - unable to locate component". It says AvgTest.dll was not found and advises re-installing. But I find it won't let me uninstall the existing copy: using Add/remove programs results in a message "Installation failed"; and it's the same message if I try Start>programs>AVG> uninstall.
Any advice welcomed.

Jak_1 18:58 06 Mar 05

delete by hand then use a registry cleaner to remove the remnants from the registry. Then install AVG7

palinka 19:26 06 Mar 05

thanks Jak_1. I've got rid of everything except avgse.dll and avgupsvc. Can anyone recommend a registry cleaner, please.

VoG II 19:28 06 Mar 05

Regseeker click here

RegscrubXP click here

palinka 19:35 06 Mar 05

thanks very much, VoG™. Any warnings about usage?

VoG II 19:40 06 Mar 05

I prefer RegscrubXP. I have had strange things happen after using Regseeker but can't be definite that Regseeker was the cause.

palinka 20:12 06 Mar 05

thanks again VoG™. I'll try them both and see which I can get on with best.

Chezdez 20:34 06 Mar 05

why not just reinstall it over the top of the current version?

palinka 21:57 06 Mar 05

Chezdez, experience in the past suggested that was not a good idea.
OK folks, I've used regseeker and succeeded in removing previous installation. But now I can't complete new installation - get error message "Action failed for file avgamsvr.exe: creating service... The specified service already exists. [1073]". Help!!!

VoG II 22:00 06 Mar 05

I don't know the answer palinka but I suggest that you start a new thread with a link to this one. Ticked threads attract little attention.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…