Can't uninstall MS Office?

pj123 15:02 12 Dec 04

Have just been out to someone who has a problem with MS Office on a laptop.

Every time he tries to open Word a window appears asking for Registration details. Name, Company, Reg number etc.

He doesn’t have any CDs at all for this laptop. He doesn’t remember whether any came with it (he is 73 and a bit absentminded).

He bought another MS Office CD set thinking that all he needs to do is put the number in from these, but (naturally) all he gets is “Invalid”.

I tried to uninstall Office using the new CDs. I got the usual options – Install, Repair or Remove. I chose Remove and according to the end result it was “successfully removed”

But on a reboot when checking in Explorer, MS Office is still there. I tried to install it using the new CDs and the reg number that came with them but still get the window asking for the Registration details. If I now enter the number from the CD it is “invalid” again.

I have even tried installing in to a different folder but still get the same problem, which suggests to me that you can’t have MS Office installed twice on one computer.

Operating System is Windows ME.

VoG II 15:05 12 Dec 04

You need click here
and a stiff drink ;o)

pj123 15:12 12 Dec 04

Thanks, VoG™. I have downloaded that file. Unfortunately, I won't see this person again until somewhere around the end of January, (his wife is French and they are going to France) which is why the laptop has started to feature in his life. I have now shown him how to use Wordpad (Write) to overcome his wordprocessing problems until I see him again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…