cant uninstall bt yahoo internet explorer

jakag 00:28 08 Jul 04

I installed bt yahoo pay as you go,
all of my original internet explorer settings have gone, I wish to delete the bt yahoo version and reinstall my original version but I cannot delete internet explorer as it says it is a protected file.
Can this be done or do I have to reformat.
I am using windows2000

Jak

sil_ver 01:34 08 Jul 04

You can't delete IE as it's part of windows, all bt yahoo has done is put it's own logo in the heading and added their internet settings to allow you to dialup. To delete bt just remove it from your connection list ( tools/options/connections) obviously you will need to get another ISP so you can dialup again.

sil_ver 01:37 08 Jul 04

this little program will get rid of the 'branding' on IE click here

jakag 09:21 08 Jul 04

Thanks for the information sil_ver, I would like to get rid of the branding etc but unfortunately the link you gave does not work,
I do realise about needing another dialup number but just wanted the BTyahoo one in case the one i genrally use does not work.

Jak

sicknote 09:45 08 Jul 04

Jester's site i was told is no longer running,Don't know where else you can get it from.
Can you not find a free cover disc with IE on and install it over the old ?? or if you are install another isp dialup that will do it

CamPatUK 09:55 08 Jul 04

you used to be able to go to the plugins folder within IE in program files and delete the offending folders/files, not sure if this helps but it used to be essential with the old freeserve setup system which failed occasionally

billgates 10:07 08 Jul 04

Try Tweak Manager. It is shareware/nagware. One of the tweaks available is to remove branding.
click here

iambeavis 10:59 08 Jul 04

I don't know if it works with Windows 2000 but XP users are able to change/remove any of the BT Yahoo components, including the browser, in add/remove programmes. I got rid of everything bar the internet connection.

jakag 22:05 08 Jul 04

iambeavis I did uninstall the browser in add/remove and it no longer shows it there but the icons still make the browser work so i went into windows explorer and deleted, it went away but came back in about 5 seconds .. the same happens with some of the files that go with it.

campatuk i do not have a plugins folder at all.

sicknote i have downloaded the latest version and run it but it is still the same.

I have the hard drive devided into 2 drives C & D and i made a copy to D drive but when i installed btyahoo it even found that and changed it.

I am going to try and do something with that tweak thing billgates. if i can find out how!!

Another thing that has happened is that the download is slow (about one third) downloading web pages since i started this. downloading files is about the original speed and there seems to be a lag before it starts downloading.

I can see i will finish up reformatting and just putting in the dialup number, if I had known then that is all I would have done but I thought the desktop icon etc was a good idea.

I have emailed btyahoo on how to restore but have no heard any thing yet.

thanks for your suggestions everyone

jak

jakag 22:06 08 Jul 04

iambeavis I did uninstall the browser in add/remove and it no longer shows it there but the icons still make the browser work so i went into windows explorer and deleted, it went away but came back in about 5 seconds .. the same happens with some of the files that go with it.

campatuk i do not have a plugins folder at all.

sicknote i have downloaded the latest version and run it but it is still the same.

I have the hard drive devided into 2 drives C & D and i made a copy to D drive but when i installed btyahoo it even found that and changed it.

I am going to try and do something with that tweak thing billgates. if i can find out how!!

Another thing that has happened is that the download is slow (about one third) downloading web pages since i started this. downloading files is about the original speed and there seems to be a lag before it starts downloading.

I can see i will finish up reformatting and just putting in the dialup number, if I had known then that is all I would have done but I thought the desktop icon etc was a good idea.

I have emailed btyahoo on how to restore but have no heard any thing yet.

thanks for your suggestions everyone

jak

sicknote 22:39 08 Jul 04

Sorry i should have said a free cover disc with IE on but not a BT disc.
What ISP are you using ? apart from BT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…