can't turn pc on

faulties 11:30 11 Mar 07
Answered

Hi all.

Turned my desk top on yesterday. It booted into windows fine but then went blank, nothing on the screen. Used keyboard to try turning it off (windows button/up button/return/move right/return.) Checked this with laptop this morning - fine.

The hard drive wouldn't turn off, so I tried restart button - nothing, then I tried on/off button held in for several seconds - nothing. Had to turn it off by switching the power off at the socket.

Now it won't turn on. It turns a light on & off on the cd drive then the red & green on the hard drive flash on & off, nothing on the dvd drive.

I've tried unplugging the cd & dvd drives separately & together - nothing. I have 2 hard drives for this pc, in cradles, get the same result with the other drive in.

Any help would be gratefully accepted, thanks.

Kate B 11:35 11 Mar 07

Any beeps from the motherboard?

faulties 11:55 11 Mar 07

Nothing. If it wasn't for the lights flashing on & off I'd think there was no power getting through!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:04 11 Mar 07

Try booting to safe mode by continually tapping F8 during inital boot up.

If you can get in safe mode do a system restore.

If not then post back.

faulties 12:12 11 Mar 07

Doesn't even try to boot up! It's dead, just 3 lights flash on & off then nothing. I have to switch off at socket to get it to light up again. I've tried a different power cable too.

faulties 13:45 11 Mar 07

bump

Sharpamatt 13:56 11 Mar 07

If you have access to one try a different PSU the cost of a new one is small but may be the cause of your problem

cowboy62 14:01 11 Mar 07

i once had a similar problem which i solved by resetting my bios with the jumper on the mother board u could try this before buying a new power supply the instructions for this u will find in the mbord manual

faulties 15:43 11 Mar 07

cowboy62

Tried that thanks but it didn't work, still get the same 3 lights flashing then nothing.

It's a chaintech vnf3-250 if that's of any help. I left the jumper moved for 5secs as instructions, would it do any good leaving it longer?

woodchip 15:56 11 Mar 07

It just sounds like what happend to me. The PSU blew took the Mobo and CPU with it

faulties 16:21 11 Mar 07

Didn't want to hear that woodchip. Can't do with more expense this month!!!

Will take it to my computer guy tomorrow see what he says.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…