cant turn laptop off

pete h 23:07 21 Feb 09

Hya again peeps. just had to use the recovery disc on my teenage daughters laptop, seemed to go on ok but now i cant install any type of antivirus not will it close down using the start button. if i do ctr alt and delete i get the message that the system fader is not responding. this happens all the time and i have to turn the machine off by disconnectng the battery pack. any ideas anyone please

pete

Joe R 00:08 22 Feb 09

Maybe some hints here.

click here

ashleycardwell94 01:14 22 Feb 09

Re-install windows or try system restore

ashleycardwell94 01:15 22 Feb 09

it sounds that windows has been corupted by a failed recovery

pete h 09:05 22 Feb 09

ashely, thanks mate but i have reinsalled windows about 5 times now and used the toshiba recovery dist half a dozen times too and done system restor. nothing seems to work

pete

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:24 22 Feb 09

Can be cause by a corrupt Sp2 update
Boot from XP CD to recovery console

1. At the command prompt, type cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst, and then press ENTER.

Note After you complete this step, you cannot stop the removal process.
2. At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt, and then press ENTER.
The Spuninstal.txt file appears. As the file scrolls down, you will see errors and files being copied. This is normal behavior.

3. After Windows XP SP2 is removed, type exit, and then press ENTER.

4. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do this, press F8 as the computer restarts.
Note After you restart, the system may lock up with a black screen. (Your mouse will work.) In this case, restart again by turning the computer off and then back on. The second restart will let you to log on.

5. When your computer restarts, Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) does not run, and the Windows icons and the Start button are unavailable. To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
a. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Task Manager.
b. Click File, and then click New Task (Run...).
c. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
d. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
e. On the right side of the viewing pane, right-click ObjectName, click Modify, type LocalSystem in the Value data box, and then click OK.
f. Restart your computer

6. Use one of the previous methods to remove Windows XP SP2 from your computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac