Can't stop download

Treebeard 00:04 25 Sep 03

I am concerned to find that whenever I connect to the Internet my computer seems to be constantly downloading something. This automatically resumes whenever I disconnect and reconnect and even when I restart the computer.

According to the Local Area Connection Status window (I connect to a broadband system via a network connector) I have so far downloaded 30,000,000 Bytes over several hours and it is still continuing as I speak!

I realise that such things as Windows updates continue to download when Internet connections are interrupted, but I haven't requested a Windows update and such a lengthy download seems unusual anyway.

The only thing I can think of is that I recently installed a Visioneer scanner and clicked the "check for updates" button.

I have cleared all temporary Internet files, and the problem continues.

Can anyone tell me how to stop this download, as it just keeps going on and on. At this rate my hard disk will be full of something which I cannot identify.

VoG II 00:06 25 Sep 03

Spybot click here AND ad-aware click here

Tog 07:35 25 Sep 03

Open a DOS window and use "netstat -an" (no quotes) to find out the address of who you're connected to then go to click here or click here and use lookup to convert it to a name.

The above may not work but there are other tools for finding out who you are connected to. Just do a google on IP lookup

Treebeard 21:25 25 Sep 03

Many thanks for your comments.

Tog

I tried this and found a couple of dozen entries. These boiled down to two, each followed by a colon and various numbers. I'm not sure what these extra numbers are.
The two entries I could identify seem to relate to my local cable company ('bagu.cable.ntl.com') and Internet Assigned Numbers Authority in California. I assume that these are OK, then

VoG

I downloaded Spybot and ran the search function. This found about 15 threats which were repaired. I also ran the immunise programme.
(This freeware looks good. I shall send a voluntary contribution later.)

I really appreciate your help, people, but the problem continues as before. I seem to be downloading data whenever connected. Does anyone have any more ideas?

Djohn 21:36 25 Sep 03

Download and run VoG's second link for Ad-aware, this will pick up anything that the first one may have missed. Also version 6 of this program, also free. click here Regards. j.

wee eddie 23:01 25 Sep 03

You mention neither AntiVirus nor Firewall in your setup.

I am sure that you have them up and running!

Treebeard 23:26 25 Sep 03

Thanks Djohn and wee eddie.

I downloaded and ran Ad-aware. It quarantined 8 items, but I'm afraid the download still continues. It may be worth mentioning that downloading is proceeding at about 3kB per second and that, although the 'received' number is counting up, the 'sent' number does not increase.

Yes, I have Norton Antivirus (regularly updated) and the firewall that came with Windows XP Home.

I am very grateful for all the interest shown in my problem, and hope that more suggestions are forthcoming!

Treebeard 18:47 30 Sep 03

I have been checking and find that the constant download problem does not occur when connected to Claranet dial up server, only when connected to NTL Broadband.
I have contacted NTL, but have received no reply as yet.
Does this shed any light on the problem?
Any more suggestions?

Sealer 19:03 30 Sep 03
  timothywilliam 19:56 30 Sep 03

Be aware this might be a situation I landed up with although in OE. I found out by going into the E-Mail of my my ISP as opposed to OE that there was a 27MB attachment being downloaded !

Later research found out that a contact had a Virus which activated some monster download, maybe his address book.. I contacted my ISP and asked them to purge that mail which they did for me.

yonex24562 09:25 01 Oct 03

I would suggest getting another firewall such as Sygate personal firewall or zone alarm as the inbuilt firewall in xp is not particularly good for this type of thing. The firewalls I mentioned will tell you about anything connecting and from them you can should be able to stop the connection. By the way, both that I mentioned are free. Hope this helps. Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5