Can't stop AVG scanning incoming mail

montyburns 14:42 09 Jun 05

I use AVG as, apart from being free, I like it!

A prob has developed though, as it is not letting me download incoming mail, it's just "hanging"

So, I tried to disable "Scan incoming mail" but, although this is now unticked, it's still scanning, and still hanging

Any ideas?

Dave

Totally-braindead 14:44 09 Jun 05

If you get stuck you could try deleting AVG and reinstalling but I'd wait and see what the others come up with.

Completealias 14:49 09 Jun 05

REally you don't want to diable the scan incomming mail function as you'll leave your computer open to virus infection which you don't want.

I don't use AVG myself but there has been a number of threads on here about your problem so you could try searching the forum. You could also try the AVG page for help with this as there may be an answer there click here

One suggestion that I did notice the other day was that after an update to the program you needed to reboot your system to get the email scanning back online.

If you still have problems and aren't happy with AVG try avast click here also free and personally I think better than AVG have never had a problem with avast

montyburns 14:51 09 Jun 05

I'm also using Norton so emails should be safe

(I know there are supposed to be "issues" on using both, but I have been for months with no problem)

Dave

Completealias 14:59 09 Jun 05

Running two av's together can cause conflicts one of which could be what your experiencing now.

If you wish you can have 2 av's installed but you should only have one running real time protection. So in your case I'd suggest leaving norton running in real time protection and using AVG as a stand alone scanner.

SANTOS7 15:03 09 Jun 05

Have to aggree with completealias two A/Vs running together are almost certain to cause software conflict and may well be the root of your problem..

montyburns 15:48 09 Jun 05

I don't think the two are clashing as they have been running happily together for about 3 months (unless an update has messed things up?)

"If you wish you can have 2 av's installed but you should only have one running real time protection. So in your case I'd suggest leaving norton running in real time protection and using AVG as a stand alone scanner"

I think I will go with this. But how do I stop AVG? Switched off "scan incoming mail" and even (as far as I can see) closed AVG, but STILL it is scanning!!

Dave

SANTOS7 15:55 09 Jun 05

click here
there's some info here which has knocked my statement sideways the getting them to do diferent things may help with your query..

wee eddie 16:25 09 Jun 05

Instead of hanging.

Could you be stuck with a large e-mail which is taking a very long time to download?

montyburns 16:48 09 Jun 05

"Could you be stuck with a large e-mail which is taking a very long time to download?"

No, as I have switched off AVG (by using CTRL-ALT-DEL then end program) and tried without. It's working OK then. Also working OK on the laptop with no AVG

Dave

bloo meeny 20:46 09 Jun 05

Uninstall AVG, and then re-install - but using the 'custom' install option.
You can then leave out the e-mail scanner, and just install the rest ..... worked out ok for me (on W98SE).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…