can't start my pc

spud 22:23 17 Jul 03

Help please, running 98 se everything was fine until i installed some digital camera software the screen went blank, and i had to press the restart button,the pc now won't start normally,i can get it into safe mode but can't find my cd rom drive anywhere on the pc, if i insert my windows 98 cd nothing happens, any help greatly appeciated.

Valvegrid 22:28 17 Jul 03

While in safe mode have you tried removing the faulty software in Control Panel the Add/Remove.

Paul.

Steven135 22:29 17 Jul 03

You can restore the last working registry I think by going to command prompt in safe mode and typing regedit.

It's a long time since I used W98 someone here should tell you how to do it, worth a try.

Valvegrid 22:32 17 Jul 03

That'll be the next step once the software is removed. It's regscan/restore.

Thanks

VoG II 22:41 17 Jul 03

I think that you meant

SCANREG /RESTORE

but I may be wrong.

Valvegrid 22:43 17 Jul 03

What did i say...........Oh yes that's what I meant, thanks for the correction.

Evening by the way.

Paul

spud 22:46 17 Jul 03

Thanks for your help, i have removed the software from add/remove programs but i still can't start the pc normally,how do you use regscan/restore from command prompt? thanks

Valvegrid 22:47 17 Jul 03

If you start the computer and keep pressing the F8 key a menu will appear, if you highlight the option to start at command prompt then type scanreg/restore the computer will scan the reg and present you with a list of five previous dates, pick a date when the computer was running correctly and hit the return key. It should put the computer back the way it was.

Paul

VoG II 22:51 17 Jul 03

You need to do a restart and get into your BIOS - normally this is by pressing the DEL key before Windows loads.

You then need to find the boot order and set it so that the CD loads first. Exit the BIOS, place your Windows CD in the drive and reboot. Fron there you should be able to install W98 over itself.

Evening Paul, I am Peter btw.

spud 22:53 17 Jul 03

Can you pleade clarify how i use scanreg/restore from safe mode many thanks.

spud 22:59 17 Jul 03

Thanks mate
I'll give the scanreg/restore a go and let you know how i go on many thanks to you both

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…