Can't start HTTPS

phil 07:26 07 Oct 04

Following a system crash, caused by SP2, I have found that the PC is now very slow to start up and to connect to the internet. As long as 5 minutes.

Looking at the error logs I noticed that, every time, it says something like;

HTTPS failed to start due to dependencies.

It also gave an error number of ERROR 1068. I looked it up in the Help files and followed the instructions to start all the other dependencies, of which only Application Gateway wasn't switched on.

I restarted the machine but still get the HTTPS error.

Any ideas?

NO!, I will not re-install SP2, my graphics controller, Intel on board, does not like it and runs in just 4 bit colours. And yes I have got the latest drivers.

Diodorus Siculus 08:01 07 Oct 04

Do you have a firewall?

Can you ever get onto https sites?

If you have a firewall, ensure that port 443 is open for https traffic.

Thorfin 13:33 08 Oct 05

in XP try START/CONTROL PANEL/ADMIN TOOLS/SERVICES/HTTP SSL. right click, start service.

Diodorus Siculus 13:39 08 Oct 05

Thorfin - where did you find this one? :-)

€dstowe 13:50 08 Oct 05

SP2 does not cause system crashes on its own. Problems with SP2 are caused by pre-existing errors in the XP system that the service pack is, or is being, installed on. The errors are shown up by SP2 and are just indications of something fundamentally wrong.

The best (only?) way out of this is to do a clean install of Windows.

Thorfin 17:44 11 Oct 05

diodorus, my daughter's new PC couldn't access HTTPS sites and this worked, it was plan Z!!

Diodorus Siculus 19:56 11 Oct 05

Thorfin - I meant the thread - it was over a year old!

phil 21:10 11 Oct 05

I bought a new pc instead and then re-installed XP on the problem one.

Once that was up and running I installed SP2 and it's all working well now as my spare pc (just in case).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…