Can't shut down with router live

Awestruck 17:25 26 Jan 09

A client of mine has a problem, his computer will not shut down if his router is live.
Starting up the computer with the router switched off, the computer functions properly and it closes down rapidly.
Naturally I suspected the router (A siemens router supplied by Tiscali).
However, I now believe it is a fault related to the on-board Ethernet circuit/drivers.
With the router live, all the lights are on and the internet and emails are accessible.
If I left click the internet connection icon in the notification area, then try to click the Disable button, the computer hangs.
The connection can only be disabled using Ctrl Alt Del and then clicking End now.
The computer then hangs at shut down and the reset button is the only way to shut down.

I tried reinstalling from the Tiscali broadband CD.
On the first try it gave an error message that no PCI card could be detected. This nonsense as the connection is by on-board Ethernet.
The second try resulted in an error message that the network connection was faulty.
The third try completed the installation without problem.
Checking the Ethernet hardware in the Control panel Device manager showed no problem with the on board Ethernet.

The Tiscali help line confirmed that the router was not at fault. Any suggestions most welcome.

Awestruck

Ashrich 19:25 26 Jan 09

First of all I would delete the ethernet port from Device manager and reboot the PC allowing Windows ( whatever flavour ) to reload the drivers , then I would go to the manufacturers web site and download and run the latest drivers , if that doesn't slove the problem then fitting a PCI network port is the next " port " of call , short of changing the motherboard .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…