cant shut down pc

chris88852003 20:11 17 Jun 03

i have windows xp installed the computer starts up but it will not shut down. I have formated the hard drive 5 times but nothing seems to do the trick. Plus it keeps restarting it self i have unclicked the button saying about restarting in windows please help.

Bodi 20:17 17 Jun 03

Regarding the "won't shut down", have you tried holding in the power button on the case for about four or five seconds? That usually does the trick for me, and at least I can then switch off at the mains. I know this trick probably puts the computer into "sleep mode" - 'cos sometimes when returning the mouse to it's housing, the flipping thing restarts. lol

I think I've read threads of others having similar problems with XP - try the search facility.

Bodi

chris88852003 20:32 17 Jun 03

i have windows xp installed the computer starts up but it will not shut down. I have formated the hard drive 5 times but nothing seems to do the trick. Plus it keeps restarting it self i have unclicked the button saying about restarting in windows please help. I have tried holding down the power on button,but it still does nothing

Gaz 25 20:36 17 Jun 03

Have you norton products?

VoG® 21:04 17 Jun 03
  Bodi 08:44 18 Jun 03

To get the computer to power off when depressing the on/off power button on the case:

Go into the BIOS/Power Menu and look for PWR Button<4 Secs and set to "soft on". This should work.

Bodi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…