cant shift a virus

dfghjkl 22:44 08 Jul 06

hi,i have a problem that is driving me round the bend,my pc (2500+,1.5g ram,6800 graphics,asus board,xp pro,ntl 4 meg)i have formatted and reinstalled several times in the last couple of months but i get the same problem,after i install the ntl software and become on line i keep getting error messages you know the one were it says it has to close the program and gives the choice to send or dont send to microsoft.i use ntl netguard,norton 2003,ad aware (ad aware always picks up about 7 tracking cookies)i sometimes use free zone alarm but it makes no differance.any help please,thanks,peter.

rdave13 22:47 08 Jul 06

Did you send a report? Maybe a bad driver and needs an update.

VoG II 22:50 08 Jul 06

What makes you think it is a virus?

On line scanners:

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
click here
Make sure you tick AutoClean under Scan Options.

Panda ActiveScan
click here
Make sure you tick Disinfect automatically under Scan Options.

Housecall at TrendMicro
click here
Make sure you tick Auto Clean.

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
click here

dfghjkl 02:37 09 Jul 06

thanks for your response,i dont know if it is a virus,i just know that i have a problem.my ntl virus check picked out a back door trojan but then got rid after a re-boot,that was yesterday but no change since.

dfghjkl 21:27 09 Jul 06

hi,i have tried all of theese but they did not find anything,on the panda one it threw up an error just like it has been doing,any more out there please?

SANTOS7 21:38 09 Jul 06

The problem may lie with you having TWO Antivirus
progs running NTL NETGUARD and NORTON you will have to get rid of one of them........

dfghjkl 21:21 10 Jul 06

hi,thanks but it was the same before i put norton on and it was the same when the ntl one was added,i know it should conflict but it hasnt done so yet,i just kept them going out of desperation,

terryf 21:24 10 Jul 06

Have you tried emptying the recycle bin and also temporarily turning off system restore before scanning and then turn off afterwards

terryf 04:13 11 Jul 06

Sorry, should have been 'turn on afterwards'

Taff™ 09:38 11 Jul 06

I agree with Santos7 - get rid of one of the antivirus programs. Running both means a duplicate of effort and a drain on your system resources. You`ll notice a distinct increase in speed and those messages might disappear.

SANTOS7 09:40 11 Jul 06

I also know which one i'de get rid of, HMMM!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced