cant share internet connection please help

dazzling 08:50 07 Oct 05

i have just installed a speedtouch pc modem in my computer instead of usb and it is much more stable.however i have internet connection sharing and it no longer works.when i switch the second pc on it disconnects the modem and when i turn it off it reconnects.the second pc sees the first and vice versa but modem goes offline.any ideas.darren

mgmcc 09:18 07 Oct 05

When replacing the USB modem, did you disable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the old connection and then enable it on the new connection in the Network Connections Folder?

dazzling 09:24 07 Oct 05

yes i deleted one and replaced it with the other and ran the network wizard seems strange that switching on the second computer should disconnect the modem it didnt when i had the usb one could it bee anything with the ethernet? darren

mgmcc 09:55 07 Oct 05

What I would do is to disable ICS on the new modem connection, set the Local Area Connection to get its IP address automatically and reboot.

The Local Area Connection should then get an address in the 169.254.x.x range allocated by Windows, because it cannot find a DHCP server.

Now, enable ICS again on the new modem connection, check that this has reset the Local Area Connection to the fixed IP address and see if it then works properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…