cant share files with new laptop

juneski2 06:44 23 Sep 08

I have a Windows XP and just bought Vista laptop and have installed Linksys, the laptop is hooked to my pc but I cannot find the laptop When I go to microsoft network it says I have mshome and workgroup. mshome says only home computer there and workgroup says im not authorized to access. The laptop connects to the wireless but I want to send pictures and videos to the laptop. The laptop also has the connection to the pc. Have I connected the laptop wrong or do I need to set something up with the pc Thanks (Lost in pc land)

Taff™ 08:10 23 Sep 08

By default XP uses MSHOME and Vista Uses WORKGROUP as their respective network names. On the XP machine go to control panel and run the network wizard. Change the network name to workgroup and make sure File & Printer sharing is on.

In the Vista machine go to Network and Sharing Centre from Control Panel. Under Sharing and Discovery you`ll need to switch most of the options to On.

You also need to have passwords set for all user accounts on both machines. Reboot both machines and look in the workgroup network.

Pineman100 17:56 25 Sep 08

watching

juneski2 01:29 26 Sep 08

no I still cant do it because when I do a net work setup wizard I have to create a network setup disc and it says that the wizard had detected that I have no floppy or other removeable media. I took the computer into best buy and they said that my dvd burner does not work even though I have never used it but they said it didnt matter wether it was used or not they still fry and I dont know why the floppy wouldnt work so I guess I just burn Thanks any way I appreciate the help

Taff™ 06:18 26 Sep 08

Don`t bother with the request for a floppy. Use the option to "I don`t need to...." and finish the wizard on the XP machine. Then follow my instructions on the Vista machine.

Which machine has no floppy and a failed DVD burner? Surely not the new Vista machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced