cant share c$

wobbler 11:55 17 Sep 08

Win XP. I am having problems finding my PC on a home network, but when I look in system properties the hard drive is called c$. why is this?

Happy37 14:56 17 Sep 08

wobbler

I had this problem as well a while ago - in the Sharing tab, you have to click the New Share button and then give it a name...i.e C for example.

The system will not allow you to share the "root" of the drive.

Hope this helps - please pop back and let us know how it goes.

Good luck.....

BurrWalnut 15:24 17 Sep 08

It is not recommended that the system drive (usually C) is shared but if you must, right-click Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management then right-click the drive graphic > Properties > Security Tab > Edit > Add then type ‘Everyone’ (not the quotes) and below it select your preferences, e.g. Read or Full Control. Now Apply, OK, etc. to finish.

BurrWalnut 15:58 17 Sep 08

My previous posting was for Vista drive sharing. It has occurred to me that you may be using XP.

If so, go to My Computer > Right-click the drive to be shared > Sharing and Security > Click I understand the risks > Put a tick in Share this folder on the Network > Change the name (if you wish) > Tick Allow network users to change my files or leave it blank to give read access only > Apply, OK, etc. to finish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…