Can’t setup Network – workgroup not accessible

naggis 11:47 10 May 08

My desktop pc is hard wired to a Sky Netgear router using an Ethernet cable.
My laptop is connected to the router wirelessly.
Both computers run xp and connect to the internet with no problems at all.
I have run the xp network setup wizard on both machines and ensured that file sharing is enabled on both.
If I use “View workgroup computers” in My Network Places – the laptop shows itself and I can see the files that have been selected to share on the network. However, on the desktop a similar check to see workgroup computers fails with a message that “Workgroup is not accessible” and that I don’t have permission and that a list of servers on the workgroup is not available.
Another point is that if I use Start, My Network Places is shown on the laptop but is not on the desktop. Does that mean that the desktop has not created a network place? But it will connect to the internet so what does this mean?
I have searched the net and this forum to find a solution and so far no joy.
Please can anyone offer a possible solution before I go completely mad.

Taff™ 13:04 10 May 08

Open your firewalls and make sure that in Exceptions File and printer sharing is enabled. Make sure both computers have the same network name i.e. Workgroup. If one of the computers is XP Pro - enable simple file sharing. Put a test document into each computer`s shared folder. Ensure that each user login has a password. Reboot both computers after these procedures.

That`s a quick list of things I`ve had to do in the past!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…