Cant set to dma on slave hard drive

jake williamson 11:06 29 Dec 03

I’ve two hd’s in my dell 8300, a 60gb that came with the machine and a IBM deskstar 82.3gb. I’ve put them both on the primary ide channel with the 60gb as device 0 and the 82.3gb as device 1.

I cant set device 1 to dma which is really impacting the disk and machine performance. Device 0 shows ‘device type auto detection, transfer mode dma if available’ and the ‘current transfer mode as ‘ultra dma mode 2’. Device 1 shows ‘device type auto detection, transfer mode dma if available’ and the ‘current transfer mode as ‘pio mode‘.

I’ve looked around in the bios and cant find anything - what should I be doing?

Any info would be great,

Cheers, Jake

MichelleC 11:19 29 Dec 03

Have a look here, it may help click here DMA availablity is somewhere in bios, but as 1 hd is enabled I don't think it's a bios issue.

jake williamson 11:58 29 Dec 03

hi, thanks for the reply. i had a good look through the link you posted and had a hunt on the dell forum.

in the end, it was in the bios. i checked out the settings under 'drive configuration'.

the primary master drive said hard drive. the primary slave drive said off. so i set this to auto and rebooted.

now the bios says hard drive and the current transfer modes on both hard drives is on 'ultra dma mode 5' - copying files is now soooper speedy!

thanks again,

jake

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes