Can't send emails Error 554 Relay access denied

BillySilly 21:43 14 Feb 09

Hi
Can't send emails Error 554 Relay access denied Help please!!

Suddenly have a problem sending emails via Outlook ExpressV6 in XP Pro on my Dell Inspiron E1505. I will use pretend email addresses to avoid spamming.
I have a broadband account [email protected]. My wife has one too [email protected].
We can send emails to each other, like you do:)

If I send one in OE from [email protected] to say [email protected] (or anyone else not on mypostoffice.co.uk!) I get the following message.
'The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'TRY3', Account: '[email protected]', Server: 'smtp.mypostoffice.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 [email protected]>: Relay access denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC79'

If I send one in OE from [email protected] to [email protected] I get the following message.

An unknown error has occurred. Account: '[email protected]', Server: 'smtp.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 Please check your SMTP server is set to smtp.orangehome.co.uk. Further help is available at click here', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F (the help link is dead)

The SMTP server is already set to smtp.orangehome.co.uk.

The same happens on sending to say [email protected]

If I go to click here and compose and send an email from my [email protected] account to my [email protected] account, it arrives fine.

I can receive in all my accounts - it is only the sending that is a problem and I have not changed anything in the way of settings!

I have asked mypostoffice technical help but without success.
I have disabled my AVG8.0 antivirus and stopped my SpywareBlaster: no change.
I have removed all my email accounts in OE, closed OE, rebooted and then reinstalled the [email protected] and [email protected]: no change.

My settings in the Servers tab are:
incoming mail: pop.orangehome.co.uk
outgoing mail: smtp.orangehome.co.uk
I have ticked and unticked the boxes for 'log on using secure password authorisation' and 'my server requires authentication': no change.

Can anyone spot was is wrong?

beeuuem 21:54 14 Feb 09

If you broadband account is with mypostoffice normally you would use their smtp server to send mail.

See click here
Under Incoming mail (POP3) server type in: pop3.mypostoffice.co.uk

Under Outgoing mail (SMTP) server type in: smtp.mypostoffice.co.uk

BillySilly 22:01 14 Feb 09

Hi beeuuem
They are set as you said:(

BillySilly 22:04 14 Feb 09

I had only listed the settings for the freeserve accounts. The ones for the broadband one were as you said

beeuuem 22:15 14 Feb 09

In your first post you said:-

My settings in the Servers tab are:
incoming mail: pop.orangehome.co.uk
outgoing mail: smtp.orangehome.co.uk

The error message suggests that you are trying to send via the freeserve smtp but it is recognising that you are connecting from a mypostoffice connection and will not allow relaying i.e. forwarding of the mail to another smtp server.

beeuuem 22:24 14 Feb 09

From click here
Freeserve Mail Settings

The Freeserve email service allows you to use POP3 and SMTP servers for accessing your Freeserve mailbox.
Freeserve Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - pop.freeserve.com (port 110)
Outgoing Mail Server - use your local ISP SMTP mail server

which I take as saying that your smtp settings should be 'smtp.mypostoffice.co.uk' for all outgoing mail

Stuartli 00:10 15 Feb 09

From Tools>Accounts>highlight each e-mail address>Properties>Connection tab, ensure that the "Always Connect to this Account Using.." drop down menu features either your ISP or LAN.

BillySilly 12:12 15 Feb 09

beeuuem and Stuartli
Thanks beeuuem for the freeserve smtp link and comment. I had left the settings as they were before I got broadband with the 'always connect to this account' set unticked. That gave the account connection setting as 'Use any available'. That meant I could download freeserve account emails through broadband but had to tick the 'Always connect to this account' to 'Orange Pay as you go' and then pay to send emails. I have changed my outgoing email setting to smtp.mypostoffice.co.uk and ticked the 'Always connect to this account' for 'Local area network' and can now send and receive freeserve emails through broadband.
Pleased about that!!
Not there yet!
I can send an email from [email protected] to [email protected] but cannot reply - error 554
I can send an email from [email protected] to [email protected] but cannot reply - error 554
I can send an email from [email protected] to [email protected] and can reply
I cannot send an email from [email protected] to [email protected] - error 554
I cannot send an email from [email protected] to [email protected] - error 554
I cannot forward a freeserve email from myself to myself - [email protected] to [email protected] - error 554

full message is:-
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'try18', Account: 'peter pan (fsnet)', Server: 'smtp.mypostoffice.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

beeuuem 13:59 15 Feb 09

I am looking at this. It is always more complicated when you have more than one ISP address. That's not a criticism, I have several but it did take some time to work out how to get them all to send and receive properly.

BillySilly 14:06 15 Feb 09

Thanks beeuuem.
The strange thing is that I have not had a problem in 18 months until it suddenly happened. I didn't change anything - at least not deliberately!

BillySilly 14:33 15 Feb 09

Just noticed that if I compose a message and click send, if I then open it and click file>properties it has (Under Composition) in each of the headings, location, size, sent and received. Is this normal?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…