Can't send email from my address book in OE

mooghaun 15:59 29 Jul 03

A problem has occured in my Outlook Express after a reformat. Whenever I go into the Address Book to send an email and click on 'Send Mail' I get this message:

Address Book - Main Identity
The Address Book could not identify an e-mail client that it could invoke.
The Address Book uses the simple MAPI protocol to send email. If your e-mail client provides an opton to let it handle simple MAPI calls, then turn on this option from the e-mail client and try again.

I don't know what this means and would be glad of some advice to sort out my problem

spikeychris 18:52 29 Jul 03

Click Start, point to Find, click Files or Folders type mapi32.dll, right-click the file and then click Properties. Check to see if the Read-Only check box is selected. If it is, untick it.

Next go to run and type Fixmapi.exe and hit enter. If this fails then go to the windows\sendto folder you should have a zero byte file named Mail
> Recipient.MAPIMail do you? if not you will have to add this file.

Open the reg and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.MAPIMail is it there and what is the value?

If you don't want to write a reg file the you could try downloading the mapistub.dll from click here and save it ti windows/system.

spikeychris 19:00 29 Jul 03

Just to add Fixmapi.exe is in \WINDOWS\system32 folder in XP.

mooghaun 13:38 30 Jul 03

spikeychris, thanks for all your help. unfortunately, although I tried everything exactly as you advised, it didn't work.

Briefly,the Read-Only check box in mapi32.dll was unticked. The Fixmapi.exe had no effect. In the Windows sendtofolder, the file Mail>Recipient.MAPIMail is there.

In rededit, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.MAPImail the value is: CLSID\{9E56BE60-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE

I would appreciate how to prgress from here.

mooghaun 13:40 30 Jul 03

Forgot to mention I am using Windows 98 Second Edition and IE6 and OE6

spikeychris 13:48 30 Jul 03

Have you tried the mapistub.dll download. Bang it in the Windows/system folder.

spikeychris 14:10 30 Jul 03

Also you could throw the 98 disk in the drive and from run type sfc (system file checker) it will look for missing and corupted files.

The value CLSID\{9E56BE60-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE is correct.

mooghaun 00:13 07 Aug 03

I nearly forgot to come back to say thank you for your help. The file download did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…