//some 3rd party need geo

can't send email since installing AVG7

palinka 20:55 11 Jan 05

since installing AVG7 my friend has been unable to send emails. (she had version 6 before and had no problems) She can stil receive OK, but every message she sends is returned immediately with message "This is the AVG Email scanner program. I am sorry to have to inform you that the message could not be delivered...".
Any solutions please. OS is XP and it's a dial-up connection.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:04 11 Jan 05

AVG E MAIL SCANNER SETUP

click here

Could b the firewall permission not set correctly make sure correct files have permission see the link.

Djohn 21:05 11 Jan 05

Is that with Outlook Express palinka, or another mail application? Has your friend configured AVG email scanner correctly if a different mail application is being used? Open AVG by right clicking on the Icon in the notification area then double click on the email scanner button, click on Configure button and check from there.

Top section should have the top 4 boxes of 6 ticked.

Middle section, first 2 of three boxes ticked and the bottom section should have just the one tick in the first box. Give that a try and see if it cures the problem.

Buchan 35 21:38 11 Jan 05

palinka, I apologise for this in advance, I need to get an answer from Djohn. Where`s the notification area please. I`ve tried everywhere else

palinka 22:47 11 Jan 05

Djohn it all seems to be set correctly - it's set the same as my own and that isn't giving any problems. That's OK, Buchan 35, I asked myself the same question; think I've got to the correct section by double clicking AVG shortcut on desktop, then control centre, then email scanner.
I'm sure Djohn will put us both right if that isn't the way to do it.
Fruit Bat /\0/\ I'll look at that tomorrow.
One thought: when I installed the new AVG on my computer there was a stage at which I had the option of doing something about "setting up the email scanner" (tho I think I've got the terminology wrong there). The friend with the problem says this wasn't one of the stages when she installed AVG7. Maybe that's the cause of her current problem. Maybe uninstall and start again?

Djohn 23:29 11 Jan 05

Sorry for the delay in replying but had a little work to do. :o(

Notification area is the name for the System tray from 95/98/98se operating systems. XP likes it to be known as the notification area and its down by the clock, bottom right of taskbar.

palinka is correct though, it can be opened from a shortcut on the desktop. I was offered the option of setting up the email scanner the first time I downloaded version 7 but not on subsequent downloads.

I removed the first and second install then downloaded a third time due to problems with the application but not yet been able to solve them.

Normally, accepting the default setting for the scanner is all that's required for AVG to work with Outlook or Outlook Express

palinka 11:00 12 Jan 05

Thanks for that Djohn. Have now completely uninstalled then reinstalled but the same problem remains. I'll work through Fruit Bat's link when I have time.

Border View 11:07 12 Jan 05

I had exactly the same problems with AVG7. I had been more than happy with AVG for nearly four years but gave up in the end. Uninstalled and installed Avast instead. I've been extremely impressed with Avast so far.

palinka 11:27 12 Jan 05

Fruit Bat, I've got my friends computweer here and working through the instructions from AVG . I get as far as "Launch the AVG Control Center ...... choose the "Personal Email Scanner"
Press the properties button and choose the "Servers" tab ". Next step says "... pressing the Wizard button"; where is the wizard button??

palinka 20:20 12 Jan 05

bump

john-232317 20:54 12 Jan 05

I just had a look for Wiz button, but cant find it, but i cant remember filling anything in i think it did it auto.

I had a problem with my mail and had to change the servers from auto to the proper isp address`s.

Also i had to add AVGEMC and AVIGNET files from AVG into XP firewall exceptions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…