can't send email HELP!!

Mavro 11:00 10 Mar 06

I am working with outlook express on windows 2000, I can receive email but when I try to send new mail or forward mail I am unable to. I have switched off McAfee outbound scan but no change. Please help!! Thanks Mavro

leedaz 11:12 10 Mar 06

Some email providers wil only allow sending of email through their dial up connection.Who is your email with,you don't say.just had this problem with hotmail through OE.I deleted the account and then re-created it, and also allowed hotmail.com to set cookies, which sorted the problem.Just (painfully) had to dump virgin email add. 'cos they won't allow sending through BT BB. Hope this is of some help.

vinnyT 11:15 10 Mar 06

Are your smtp settings correct?

To send email, it must be directed to the correct server, ie. my pipex server is smtpauth.dsl.pipex.com

To receive email, you usually have to use a pop server, ie. pop.dsl.pipex.com

What may be the case, is that the pop (incoming) settings are correctly setup, so you can receive mail ok. But, there may be a mistake in your smtp (outgoing) settings, hence you can't send.

Hope this helps.

Mavro 11:55 10 Mar 06

Thanks to both. I am with btinternet broadband, the smt settings are as were originally set when I set up the account last year and have not been changed, it just stopped working without warning!
Mavro

leedaz 12:38 10 Mar 06

Maybe just a problem with BT servers.Log onto help at click here or call them on 0845 600 7030

leedaz 12:43 10 Mar 06

click here This page might help

Mavro 12:46 10 Mar 06

Thanks will check ....Mavro

Mavro 12:21 15 Mar 06

Must have been the bt servers, as, although I tried setting up my account again etc there was no change. Suddenly, the next day it starts working again...bit late for the hair I'd pulled out but 'better late than never!'. Thanks for your help.
Mavro

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos