Can't send e-mail with windows mail

bethell 11:13 20 Jan 09

I receive broadband using wi-fi but recently discovered I can't send e-mails using Windows Mail. I can receive them. Could it be anything to do with my changing from Internet Explorer to Firefox?

MAJ 11:22 20 Jan 09

Do you have the correct SMTP (outgoing mail) settings correct in Windows Mail > Tools > Accounts > Properties (of your email provider) > Servers tab? Who is your email provider?

bethell 11:33 20 Jan 09

My email provider is Tiscali and the outgoing mail is set to smtp.tiscali.co.uk. As far as I can remember, this is what it always has been.

MAJ 11:50 20 Jan 09

Yes that looks correct, bethell, are you getting any error messages when you try to send an email? Else, if it hasn't been happening for too long, it's possible Tiscali are having problems with their SMTP server. I have just tried to ping the server without luck, but that might be because I don't have a Tiscali account.

MAJ 11:54 20 Jan 09

Go to Start > Run and type in:

ping smtp.tiscali.co.uk

and click OK. What message do you receive in response?

bethell 12:03 20 Jan 09

Thanks for your help. I think I have found the solution. From Tools > Accounts > Properties > Servers, I ticked the box - 'my server requires authentication' - and in 'settings' I selected 'use same settings as my incoming mail server'

bethell 12:15 20 Jan 09

Sorry, I thought I'd solved it. But it only worked for another email account I was using with 'freeuk'.
I tried your last suggestion and received the response - 'request timed out'

bethell 12:22 20 Jan 09

When I try to sendnthe email I get the following message - 'An unknown error has occurred. Subject ', Account: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 Sorry, your non-local IP address (89.242.81.89) is not allowed to send email via me.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant