cant see new Hard Drive

ZEROTOLERANCE 21:40 11 Jul 04

ive just fitted a new 160gb HD drive as slave, after fitting i started comp and went to dos to autodetect it which it did, i then restarted comp, but when i look in My Computer its not there??

iv gone into computer management, >disc management
but 1, when i cliked disc managment an initialize and convert dic wizard started, do i use that or close it? and 2, were it shows unknown disc1 its only shown as 128gb but its a 160gb HD?

i read something about not being able to have more than 137gb if you havnt got SP1? this cant be right surely?

OS. win XP pro.
512mb RAM
main HD is 20gb

Never again 21:45 11 Jul 04

Go into your bios to see if it has detected the new drive.

If it has then you will have to run fdisk through windows to partition and format before windows can see it.

if it hasn't then set the bios to autodetect and then do above.

Night Ryder 21:49 11 Jul 04

The op system will not recognise the drive until it's been partitioned. The disk wizard pops up because the system recognises there is an un preped disk attached to the system. Go with the disk wizard to partition and format this new drive. If you are not happy with this method you could use a bootable floppy disk and type "fdisk" to partition the new drive.

ZEROTOLERANCE 21:50 11 Jul 04

yes i did the auto detect thing at the begining, how do i do the fdisk thing? why do you think its only detecting 128gb? and what about the initialize and convert dic wizard do i shut it?

ZEROTOLERANCE 21:51 11 Jul 04

yes i did the auto detect thing at the begining, how do i do the fdisk thing? why do you think its only detecting 128gb? and what about the initialize and convert disc wizard do i shut it?

Night Ryder 21:52 11 Jul 04

Did ZEROTOLERANCE not say that the drive was detected in dos? I'm assuming he ment during Boot up it was detected by the BIOS.

ZEROTOLERANCE 21:53 11 Jul 04

Night Ryder, you said

Go with the disk wizard to partition and format this new drive. If you are not happy with this method

youve worried me now why wouldnt i be happy with that method? is it particularly fiddly or difficult?

powerless 21:54 11 Jul 04
  ZEROTOLERANCE 21:55 11 Jul 04

yes it showed up as samsung secondry slave (or similar words)

Night Ryder 21:56 11 Jul 04

If the BIOS is showing the drive to be only 128gb, check very carefuly the position of the links on the drive. One of these will restrict the size of the drive. Also in bios make sure the drive settings are to auto detect.

ZEROTOLERANCE 21:59 11 Jul 04

oh my god powerless, thats a bit heavy, can i not just tell the initialize and convert disc wizard to do it??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…