Can't see my second SATA hard drive

Paul33 16:02 27 Dec 09

I've just installed a second SATA hard drive - data and power cables both in place but I can't see the drive.

It doesn't appear under My Computer and it doesn't show under the Disk Management utility either. The Hitachi website says that I don't need drivers for my XP Home machine so what do I need to do here ?

I haven't done any formatting on the new drive or anything - straight out of the box and into the PC - but I don't see how I can do anything if I can't access it.

Any help appreciated.

howard64 16:32 27 Dec 09

try rebooting then go into the bios and see if it can automatically find and install it.

Technotiger 16:34 27 Dec 09

Is there a power light showing at all? Maybe you just need to double check all connections and make sure the drive is Switched On!

jamesd1981 16:55 27 Dec 09

windows wont see a brand new unformatted drive it can only read ntfs file system as suggested above enter the bios and check its detected in there if it is use a bootable cd to partion and format the drive to ntfs i use parted magic it works well but any one will do easeus partion master is also good you should then be able to see the drive.

cream. 16:57 27 Dec 09

with your motherboard.

New SATA drives are usually SATA300. Some older motherboards just support SATA150. But there s a work around.

Make and model number of drive and motherboard?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…