Cant see laptop monitor!!!!

smillward 07:30 02 Dec 03

I have upgraded a presario 12xl203 to win2K.

When i boot up the display is very faint and can barely be seen....I also attached a external normal monitor and the display is fine...i have checked the advanced display settings and it seems that the lappy is set up to view with a standard monitor and not a laptop display (If this makes sence!!)

Sorry i'm not very good with PC's and need some help

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Diodorus Siculus 08:29 02 Dec 03

What happens when you start in safe mode (press f8 at startup)?

Possible that you have the wrong disply driver installed? Do you know what tyoe of video adaptor you had? Try getting Aida32 click here if you need help identifying it.

smillward 14:26 02 Dec 03

Not much different...i dont have an option to extend the desktop, its as if the machine thinks it should have a normal monitor rather than a laptop display...that make sense!!!!

A Cat Called George 14:52 02 Dec 03

Is the display feint and hard to see because it is dark and you cannot increase the brightness? I used to work for a firm servicing Dell laptops. The usual reason for this problem was failure of the inverter, a little device which powers the display panel's back-light, or, rarely, the back-light itself may fail.

smillward 17:23 02 Dec 03

Yeh thats exactly what it looks like...how easy is it to fix????

Stuart

A Cat Called George 18:59 02 Dec 03

I think you will have to send it in for service. A replacement inverter shouldn't set you back too much, but if the back-light has failed you will need a new display which will be expensive. They are not difficult to replace but you are unlikely to be able to get the parts to do it yourself.

Mad Celt Bhoy 20:10 02 Dec 03

Thanks dude..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…