Can't see the LAN through bluetooth connection

Pauper 22:16 04 Dec 03

Evening One and all, I purchased a cheap laptop at the weekend, and ran a network cable downstairs to it to enable internet/e-mail and lan connection, after a couple of initials problems (resolved here of course :-) )this worked well with full net access plus access to the shared files on the three desktops.

Today, it seemed that the opportunity to purchase a bluetooth setup at a discount cost was too much to resist. The access point is a Belkin (no specific model number), and the laptop connection unit is a Belkin usb adaptor.

After the initial install, I could access the net via a 'BluetoothNullConnection' modem in the dial-up settings of IE. This is stable enough, but at 115kbps is maybe a little slow as it has a 600k connection available - still it works.

The problem is that I cannot access the other pc's on the lan. The standard local area connection quite rightly states that the cable is missing, as did a bluetooth lan adaptor which also appeared. After an uninstall/reinstall, I again have the net access, but still not the lan access - and now the bluetooth lan adaptor is not there either. Given that I can see the router at the 'far end' of the network, can someone suggest how to take this a step further and see the other pc's?

If I run the network wizard, the bluetooth adaptor is not available to select as the required connection.

The laptop is running xp home, and the pc's xp pro. Also, the desktops are connected via cable to the router (Linksys BEFSR41) as are the cable modem and bluetooth access point.

Any help appreciated.

Pauper 09:51 05 Dec 03

Back to the top for the daylight crew.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…