can't see hard drive in xp

rsturbo 01:47 16 Nov 04

i have win xp with a ntfs hdd. i also have another hdd connected on a seperate ide. the second hdd shows up in bios but does not show in 'my computer' strangely it does show if i go to device manager (device is working properly). it also shows up in control panel , performance and maintenance, admin tools, computer management, disk management. any ideas would be appreciated. jumpers are set correct.

thanks for any help

wawadave 03:13 16 Nov 04

has the drive been partitioned and formated?
does it show up in disk managment!

temp003 06:38 16 Nov 04

As wawadave says, if it shows up in Disk Management but not in My Computer, the likelihood is no partitions have been created. My own experience is that even if a partition has not been formatted, it will still show up in My Computer.

If there are no partitions on the hdd, in Disk Management it should normally be shown as Unallocated Space. If so, just right click the Unallocated Space and select Create new partition. You can create either a primary partition or extended partition. It might be a good idea to create a primary partition. Choose the amount of space in MB for the partition (1GB=1024MB). Then take the default options, and format the partition. Wait for the formatting to finish until you see the word "Healthy". After that, if there's space left on the hdd, you can use the remaining space to create an extended partition, and then create logical drive(s) within the extended partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…