Can't scan on windowsupdate

henza_mapenza 15:32 27 Dec 03

About a few weeks ago I have accidently uninstalled norton internet security on my computer. Then i re-installed back and everything seems to be running okay. However yesterday I was trying to see if there are any updates for my computer using microsoft windows update. Everything loaded okay until it got to the point where i have to click on 'scan for updates' Then all of a sudden a page came up saying 'Windws update error
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.'
error number '0x800A138F'
THe scan process went from 0% to 100% in a second!
I also have systemworks installed but i thing it is the settings for the internet firewall thats preventing me from getting any updates. If it is any suggestions about changing the settings in it or is it something else thats causing this problem. I am running Windows XP home and have never had this problem before.

woodchip 15:38 27 Dec 03

disable firewall, until you have done the updates

bruce 16:24 27 Dec 03

Also check that your Windows Script is up-to-date, as that was my problem, which was stopping the update scan.

click here

johnnyrocker 16:28 27 Dec 03

how does one check the version they have?

johnny.

henza_mapenza 21:17 07 Jan 04

Upon looking on the windows update support i found out that the problem is with the windows update.log. But what? When searching for it it seems to be okay but the problem is still there. It says something about the SSL (Secure Socket Layer). I followed the instructions about emptying the internet cache but it did not solve the problem. Any resolutions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…