can't save word doc

jammin 19:49 25 Oct 05

please help
my son is trying to save an important 13 page doc and when he tries to save it a dialogue box appears stating no space on disc or there are too many progs open - theres 141gb available and word is the only prog running - any suggestions

johnnyrocker 19:54 25 Oct 05

in order to avoid losing it are you able to send it to an e mail addy til you have resolved the issues?
only a suggestion as i dont have much else idea to help with your prob other than a re boot and full av a/spysweep retrieve from e mail and try again.

johnny.

palinka 19:58 25 Oct 05

First save it to My Docs (or whatever equivalent you have on your computer)by File>Save as>and make sure you use the down arrow beside "Save in" to save it to My Docs, or even the Desktop, if the main concern is that it might all be lost and you are in a hurry.
That will ensure he doesn't lose it.
Then if you want it on a disk you can send it to a floppy; or burn to CD or DVD. But either way you've already got it safe in My Docs/or wherever you chose.

PaulB2005 20:10 25 Oct 05

Or copy and paste all the text into Notepad, save it, check and double check. Then copy the file to a floppy or USB pen drive.

Reboot and then reopen the file and copy and paste the text back into Word. Try and save in word again.

Report back here.

PaulB2005 20:11 25 Oct 05

For future reference best to save every half page or so. Then if something like this happens you only loose half a page at most.

jammin 20:21 25 Oct 05

the problem is that it can't be saved, it did save up until page 11, so it was saved in my docs,but the last page has a graph on it that took an age to make - so now when trying to save or save as we get the error message as stated. I will try saving it to notepad and emailing as suggested. He does save every half page or page and now we just don't know why we have this problem. Thanks for all suggestions so far

Big Elf 20:25 25 Oct 05

Try copying and pasting the graph to a new document and save that. If it's successful then delete it from the original document and try saving it again.

jammin 23:39 25 Oct 05

we managed to save by splitting the file into segments - but he will need to do more of these kind of files for o'level course work, maths - lots of numbers and graphs, so we need to find the solution to saving it as one file, any help?

splork 00:11 26 Oct 05

Worth checking for Office updates click here

wee eddie 09:08 26 Oct 05

What size is the whole document?

What size is the Graph and what program did he use to create it?

Can he save the Graph as a separate page, then slip the sheet in to the pack after printing.

jammin 09:30 26 Oct 05

the whole doc is c 651k

the graph was created in excel, there are other graphs in the doc, same size, same type etc so nothing of any major size has been created

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…