Can't save large file to hard drive?

bda72 09:24 16 Jun 07

Hi, I have a very frustrating problem, my laptop's hard drive is short on space to edit my holiday video footage so I have borrowed my fathers but his doesn't have a firewire port. I have transfered all the footage onto dvd's but I can't transfer to his hard drive, each time it says there is not enough space. The larger files are 4Gb but there is more than 50Gb free space so I don't understand why I can't copy them.
I hope there is a simple solution to this as the "Boss" wants to send a video of our holiday to her mother yesterday.

Many Thanks.

Barry.

bda72 09:31 16 Jun 07

Should of said it's an Acer laptop running Windows XP.

eedcam 09:42 16 Jun 07

he may have Fat32 as his file system I think that has limits to file sizes .Afraid dont know how to change to ntfs if that is the prob.Can you not import from the dvd in smaller chuncks .If you have .vob files they will only be a max of 1Gb each

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:35 16 Jun 07

My computer - C:\drive - right click properties

Is it showing as FAT32 eedcam is correct if FAT32 the will not handle files over 4G.

If you are using Windows XP, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

HOWEVER AS IT IS NOT YOUR LAPTOP, IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO ASK BEFORE CONVERTING.

eedcam 13:27 16 Jun 07

If you cant convert and you saved the files as dvd .A workaround to get you out the deep litter .Open the disc in DVD shrink (free) and reduce the disc size to less than 4Gb Say 3 to 3.5.Then burn it at that size .as I said a workaround if you are stuck You will not notice the difference

bda72 22:45 16 Jun 07

Thanks guys, it is running FAT32, didn't even think about that. Why would Acer supply their comps using FAT32? This laptop was bought in December so it seems a little bizzare. Will convert it tomorrow after the beer and vodka has worn off as experience tells me not to fiddle with a computer while under the influence.

Thanks again.

Barry.

bda72 09:45 17 Jun 07

Perfect, converted drive this morning using Partition Magic and files transfered easily, also unexpected bonus of no hangover!!!

Thanks once again.

Barry.

T0SH 10:22 17 Jun 07

Barry

Do yourself a favour use an external hard drive and drive image software to create a complete restorable backup image of your laptop drive , since you have converted your file system from FAT32 to NTFS it is highly unlikley that the Acer restore system disk and or hidden partition will now function should it ever be required (the most likley answer to why it came partitioned in FAT32)

Cheers HC

Quiet Life 12:27 17 Jun 07

TOSH You are right Acer make this point in their documentation about the restore function. However a machine bought in December probably came with free Vist upgrade.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…