Can't save files. It says "sharing violation"

ernieernie 17:41 16 Jun 07

I had Windows pretty well sussed until I got a new computer with Vista, and now I never seem to run short of problems.
The latest is when I make any alterations to an Excel file (maybe all the others as well, but I haven't tried) I keep getting the following response.
Your changes could not be saved to mydoc.xls because of a sharing violation. Excel has created a temporary file with your changes preserved called 76E82000 (the number changes on every attempt). The said file has no extension and won't let me find Excel to open it.
If I persevere then I sometimes get the following message.
Cannot save C:\ernest\Documents\excel\mydoc.xls. That file is marked Read Only.
I can save it without any bother to pendrive in a USB slot.
It's driving me nuts! Help!

SANTOS7 17:47 16 Jun 07

Sharing Violation

An attempt to open a file that is being used by another program. In a normal single-user environment, if an application has already called in a file (document, spreadsheet, etc.), and another program tries to read it, a sharing violation occurs. The solution is to close the file, which releases the "lock" placed on it by the application that opened it.

ernieernie 21:44 16 Jun 07

Santos7
Thanks for trying, but evidently I did not make myself clear. The problem occurs when after opening a file and changing it I try to save it again.

SANTOS7 21:55 16 Jun 07

Could be Anti virus software related.

The
anti-virus software locks the temp file that Excel creates as the first step
in saving a workbook while it scans it. The temp file doesn't get unlocked
quickly enough so Excel throws a sharing violation error. Try disabling all
your dynamic anti-virus scanning and see if the problem goes away.

woodchip 22:19 16 Jun 07

Try "Save As" create a new file and delete the old one

ernieernie 22:28 16 Jun 07

Santos7
Thanks again for your rapid response. It is comforting when you know someone is willing to help.
I have been delving into the file sharing setup and deleted all the restrictions I could find - I don't need them anyway as I am a solo user. Anyway, the problem has now disappeared - thank goodness. I still don't really know what I have done or how the restrictions were applied in the first case, but I shan't lose any sleep over it.
Thanks again.

woodchip 22:31 16 Jun 07

If you save files to CD then copy them back to your hard drive. it makes them Read Only, and you have to change them back to Archive

ernieernie 08:05 17 Jun 07

Woodchip
Thanks for your input.
Before all this started I had partitioned my hard drive and copied my Documents directory/folder to the new partition. I then had a bit of trouble finding which files I was opening or saving so I deleted the original folder in C:\. I wonder if you are right and that the copied files had been made Read Only?
That's the trouble with computers - they do what you tell them instead of what you thought you told them!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…