Can't run FDISK on drive

bopmac 04:25 30 Oct 03

I am trying to run FDISK on my 40gig HDD, I enter FDISK and it asks if i want to enable large disk support, I reply y and then it gives a message saying "error on fixed disk" and returns to the command prompt. The disk is already partitioned with a primary and extended and has Win 98 loaded on it. I get the same message if I answer n to large disk support, or if I boot from a startup disk or boot into Dos from windows
I can enter FDISK /STATUS and it tells me I have 2 partitions on the disk and lists the relevant details and I can also reboot warm or cold into windows 98 with no problems. I want to re-size the partitions re-format the disk and start from scratch any ideas.

JIM 06:39 30 Oct 03

Whenever you delete or recreate partitions on a HD, you must reboot the machine for the new or changed partitions to take effect.

"""If after changing partition setup, and exiting from FDISK, an error message returns with something like fixed disk error, or fixed disk protected, restart the machine, go into the BIOS setup and disable the write protection on the first disk sector (boot sector). Repeat process again.""""

Deleting and Creating Partitions:

First put the boot disk in your floppy drive. This should boot the computer, if it does not restart the computer and enter setup (often F2, or F10). Once in setup you will need to find the boot sequence options and change the floppy disk drive to the first option. Save these settings and restart the machine with the disk in the drive.

Boot PC from the boot disk, when asked choose the boot without CD-rom support option. This may take a few minutes to execute. You will eventually get a prompt like a:\.
From the a:\> prompt type fdisk

When prompted for large HD support, answer yes. This will ensure FAT32 setup on the HD
Choose choice 4 from the fdisk menu

If the there is one partition and it is a FAT32 partition, skip to Booting the PC with CD-ROM support using the Win98 boot disk

If there is more than one partition and/or logical drives (drives with other letters assigned), you should delete all partitions and logical drives and restart the machine. If logical drives are assigned to any of the partitions, you must delete the logical drives first, and then delete the extended and/or primary DOS partitions.

The exception to this is if you are using a partition as a backup drive. Then you will not want to delete or change it. Having unneeded partitions at this point will waste disk space and possibly could cause problems. These settings cannot be changed later when there is data on the drive.
You can go through and delete the unneeded partitions. Choose option 4 to check on your progress with remaining partitions. Once option 4 reports only the partitions you wish to keep, restart the machine

Boot from the bootdisk again

From the a:\> prompt type fdisk

If you still have a partiton you wish to install windows on you can skip the following steps and go onto the Formatting section. If you have NO partitons then proceed. You may however want to run fdisk and check to make sure the information about your partitions looks right.
Choose option 1 to create a DOS partition
Answer yes to using 100% of the HD for the partition

Fdisk will check the integrity of the drive twice. Once the primary partition has been created, restart. The drive must now be formatted.

Formatting the HD
Boot from the disk again

From the a:\> prompt type format c:
Answer Y to all of the data being destroyed (there is none at this point)
Formatting can take up to 20 min, depending on the size of the drive
Give the HD a label (a name, can be changed later) and formatting will be completed.

poss help with links.

click here

click here

bopmac 02:54 08 Nov 03

Thanks for that but I solved the problem by downloading Powermax from the Maxtor site and running a low level format. Everything working fine now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…