Cant run .exe files

joolzski 19:14 02 Dec 09

Hi, i cant install any programmes. every time i double click on an .exe the egg timer shows for like 2 seconds then nothing happens. I need to scan my pc for viruses and i cant install an antivirus. I removed my old anti virus to install a new one.

Its not just the anti virus .exe, it is any .exe.

Any ideas people, thanks in advance.

User-1229748 19:23 02 Dec 09

try a system restore

joolzski 19:32 02 Dec 09

hi, yes i have tried a system restore, but i have exactly the same problem.

rdave13 19:45 02 Dec 09

Have a look here; click here

User-1229748 19:45 02 Dec 09

what operating system?if you have windows defender try that or from the run box type mrt and hit enter.if no good try safe mode with networking.

joolzski 21:13 02 Dec 09

hi its windows xp home editon. i have tried downloading and installing windows defender but there was a problem installing.

I ran super antispyware, and it found a few things and deleted them. my internet is slightly quicker but i still have the problem of trying to install a programme.

joolzski 21:27 02 Dec 09

thanks rdave13, i tried that and the values in the box were already exactly the same as what the information told me to do. i did delete and re-input the values.

Still no joy

grey george 21:32 02 Dec 09

Can you use explorer or other programmes? These all use .exe to fire up so is it only installations that are being blocked? Have you tried right click and run as administrator?

joolzski 21:40 02 Dec 09

hi yes its just installations it seems. i have tried the run as option. and the same as before. the box run application pops up and then ..egg timer for a few seconds then stops?

i can use IE and mozilla.

User-1229748 23:48 02 Dec 09

you could try this online scannerclick here

woodchip 00:01 03 Dec 09

Just a Question, if you click on a Program does it run????? if it does then its not exe problem as that is a executable file and a program runs from one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…