Can't retain folder view

MikeOT 18:34 23 May 04

Just getting used to XP.

Have set all my viewing preferences for windows explorer and all are retained fine except for the panel to the left that shows all the folders and subfolders browsed through - the one you get by clicking on a litte folder icon in the toolbar.

But, I can't get this to be there by default - there HAS to be a way. I've searched the www for the answer and failed.

Anyone help?

Mike

powerless 18:43 23 May 04

Tools, Folder Options, View, Apply to all folders.

MikeOT 18:46 23 May 04

I tried to explain - I've tried that. It doesn't work for this particular aspect of the view. Not on my XP machines at work. Nor my XP machines at home.

They are all XP pro.

BurrWalnut 19:54 23 May 04

By default, WinXP will remember the view settings for the 400 most recently used folders. After that, XP will begin overwriting the data of the oldest folder and its view setting will be lost. First of all, open Windows Explorer and go to Tools, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings and ensure that "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked.

The 400 folder information is stored in two registry keys:-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

To modify the registry to have more than 400 settings, go to Run, Regedit and highlight the first key (Shell), then Edit, New-Key-DWORD Value. Name this item "BagMRU Size" (without quotation marks, but with a space between BagMRU and Size). Double-click BagMRU Size, give it a Decimal value of 2000, then click OK.
Repeat the operation for the second key (ShellNoRoam)

You will have two "BagMRU Size" values equal to 0x000007d0 (2000). Close the registry and reboot. Windows XP will now remember 2000 folder view settings instead of 400.

MikeOT 09:54 07 Jun 04

I'm pretty sure this is not it - for several reasons:
- i've not used anywhere near 400 folders yet
- it doesn't remember this setting for any folders
- it is remembering all other settings for all folders

Anyone else got any ideas?

Jackcoms 13:32 07 Jun 04

About 12 months ago, I asked a similar question in this forum about XP not remembering my view settings for the Recycle Bin.

In the end it transpired that it was (yet another) glitch in XP, even though I'd gone down the Tools, Folder Options, View, Apply to all folders route, etc.

I've just had to live with it.

MikeOT 15:35 07 Jun 04

well, maybe - but i've got this problem on 4 brand new machines (3 different types) bought from different places over the past 3 months.

It just doesn't remember to keep the folder view down the left hand side.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac