Can't remove Norton Systemworks

Willow12 17:55 27 Jun 03

I tried to install Norton Systemworks 2003 and it didn't install properly. I tried to uninstall it and then do a reinstall but as it hadn't installed properly in the first place it wouldn't uninstall properly. The disc won't insatll over the top as it thinks that the file is already active. After trying (and failing to search for anything Norton in the Start menu and deleting it all I am left with 3 files which I cannot get rid of.

Norton Systemworks
Norton Utilities
Norton Ghost

As these are only parts of the named programs. I cannot access any of them and when I try to delete them access is denied as it states that they are either write-protected or in use. The only thing left on programs list in control panel is Live Update which I cannot remove as I am told that Norton Utilities needs the program.

I downloaded and ran 'rnav' to get rid of the anti-virus element of the program but cannot remove the rest.

Any help would be appreciated.

My OS in XP home.

Cheers

Quiller. 18:06 27 Jun 03

Not sure on this one but every time I try to get rid of something "norton". I go to start-run-msconfig-startup, to disable anything named norton in the startup.Restart and then I can get rid of them.

They put files there so they load with windows, so you cannot delete them as they are running under the surface, so to speak.

Willow12 18:26 27 Jun 03

Have tried removing all norton references from start menu but it hasn't helped. Norton protected recycle bin still appears etc!

Stealth_Mode 18:32 27 Jun 03

There is comprehensive information on removal at the Symantic site click here

Willow12 20:32 27 Jun 03

Thanks a lot! It took about an hour but it did the job perfectly. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5