Can't remove a file in "Add+Rem"

Derek 07:22 01 Aug 03

Two PC's. No 1 with XP and No 2 with ME. Wanted to connect them so bought a "PC-Data Linq" kit comprising USB to USB cable with a blister network which incorporates a PL-2301, and a CD with drivers. Had it from a fair and don't know the trader, nothing on the box to indicate the maker, but my research indicates that it's "Prolific".
Loaded it into both PC's but had to remove it from the XP machine because of a 'message'(cannot remember what), so I uninstalled it according to instructions given.
Then the problem started.....so help wanted.

I tried to re-load but as soon as I tried to do so into XP, I was eventually confronted with a box which said it was Uninstalling then a box which said "SEVERE" ....Unable to Launch"C:\ProgramFiles|PCLinq|DvrUninstaller.exe"

I went into Add and Remove and saw a PC-Linq file with just .9 Mb. Clicked to remove and it would not go away. Did a search on C and nothing found. Went into regedit searched for related files as explored and located in the CD (in the proper way) and again nothing found.
Been in touch with Microsoft and they cannot assist.
All very strange thus more expert help required than MS can give !!

Kindest regards DM

temp003 08:40 01 Aug 03

Have you tried msconfig, and see if there's an entry in the Startup tab that refers to the DrvUninstaller.exe?

If so, untick it, click OK, and restart to see if the error recurs.

temp003 08:53 01 Aug 03

Or download and install any startup manager such as click here

Then go to the new Startup icon in Control Panel, and go through all the tabs to see if there's a reference to it (it may be in the "Run Once" tab). If you see it, untick the box. click OK. Restart.

Or look for it in regedit:

HKEY Local Machine (or HKEY Current User) \Software\ Microsoft\ Windows \Current Version\Run (and Run Once)

If you find it, back up the registry key first, then delete the relevant entry.

When you have removed the error, delete any remaining files related to the program on your computer, then go back to regedit, go to:

HKEY Local Machine\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows \Current Version\ Uninstall

Expand the Uninstall key on the left, find the subkey that refers to the program. Highlight it, look at what's on the right to verify this is the right program. Back it up first. Then delete the subkey. This should remove the entry in Add/Remove Programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…