cant remove background picture

ole1999 20:15 12 Dec 04

Hi there
my friends son had his mate round last night and his lap top has gone hay wire so to speak, he cannot remove his desktop pic which is a warning picture of some sort, trying to change it in display properties just wont work, when he runs ad-ware it finds 100s which get removed, but when he logs back on again they all appear again next time he runs ad-ware, the warning sign picture just seems frozen into his screen.
its xp pro.
would appreicate any feedback
thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:24 12 Dec 04

Turn off system restore, reboot, run adaware click here and spybot click here, turn sys restore back on. Also d/l Ccleaner from click here and run it to delete all the temp files (Actually you can run this after Adaware and prior to restoring system restore)

G

ole1999 20:32 12 Dec 04

Thank you, will that shift the desktop picture also?
cheers

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:33 12 Dec 04

Hopefully.

G

Graham ® 20:35 12 Dec 04

Can you describe the picture? Is it the manufacturers logo, by any chance?

ole1999 20:40 12 Dec 04

hi, this is only from a fone call,so may not be spot on, its a warning of some sort, you are at risk , i have got into your computer etc, sorry not much info i know!

Graham ® 20:45 12 Dec 04

Could be a prank program. Tell 'em to put the cursor top left, that's where the 'turn off' facility is usually found.

gudgulf 21:12 12 Dec 04

I'm not sure its a prank--and I seem to remember reading something about this particular hijack not so long ago.Have a read of this click here

There are some suggestions for you to try on there.

It may well be worth posting a hijack this log here if you can get your hands on the pc in question .

ole1999 21:34 12 Dec 04

this is above my head this and rather worrying, i have asked him to bring his lap top into work tomorrow, hope it isn't the hijack suggestion ,
thanks guys will keep you updated

ole1999 17:24 13 Dec 04

Hello

I had a look at the lap top in work today, i ran ad-ware and spybot as suggested, and it found a fair bit of the above which it removed, i did this a few times and seems ok at the moment, i also ran anti-virus and it found and removed a few trojans and renamed a few files, the system is running much quicker but the warning wallpaper picture is still there.this is exactly what it says

WARNING!

YOUR IN DANGER

All you do with your computer is stored forever in your hard drive
disk.
When you visit sites, send email, all your actions are logged, and it
is impossible to remove them with standard tools.
Your data is still avaible for forensics, and in some cases for your boss, your friends, your wife, your kids.

Every site you or someone or even something, like spyware, opened in your browser
with all images, and all downloaded and maybe later removed movies or mp3 songs
- ARE STILL THERE and could broke your life.

SECURE YOURSELF , RIGHT NOW

click here for removal instructions

now this has a black background and the writing above is in the middle of the screen, when you go to display properties and try and change the picture this is when it freezes an awful lot, and when you do get the chance to change the wall paper it will allow you to do it then the screen flickers for a few seconds as it normaly does then the warning sign just stays.

As the p.c reboots the original wall paper is there for a few seconds then when it kicks in the warning pic appears once again.

thank you in advance

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:45 13 Dec 04

This one should clean the desktop automatically.........click here

Go to start-run, type msconfig and go to startup and see if there is anything from evidence eliminator or anything that you don't use there. If there is untick it to prevent it running at the start.

Also go to display in your control panel, then hit desktop. Hit the customize button and go to web. On the list you will see Security, although the first tip should have removed this. Uncheck it and delete it.

Also shut down messenger...... click here

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…