cant reload xp

plzhelp 15:48 03 Mar 07

got a 2nd hand dell dimension 4700 the xp os has lots missing including not recognising the video card .i have the xp disc but how do i reload everything when i try it says the version on pc is better and wont let me i think this is because my pc is service pack 2 and the disc is service pack 1

Gongoozler 15:59 03 Mar 07

You say that the computer installation has lots missing. It would probably be easier to find what is missing rather than reinstall XP. Is the XP disk the same one as used for the original installation? If not you probably wont be able to use it to install over the existing installation. If it is the original, and you have the valid key, you will probably have to reformat and reinstall that way.

plzhelp 16:06 03 Mar 07

im not too sure so i think reformat is the way to go.to format can i run the os from an external hd as icant format at the moment as it is running my pc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:21 03 Mar 07

If you get a "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD." message, if you continue, you will need to apply the SP 2 updates after the repair install completes, plus you will need to take the following steps to keep your system from being immediately infected with a virus.

1. If you connect directly to the internet without a router or hardware firewall, disconnect from the internet by physically removing the connections cable, removing a wireless card, or any other means of internet connection.

2. After the Repair install is completed, enable the XP firewall or install third party firewall software or router before connecting to the internet.

If you get the "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.". You should create a slipstreamed copy of your XP CD by useing the software and step by steps supplied in the links below.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…