can't reinstall windows

lesser1010 10:57 21 Mar 06

when i put my windows xp disc into my computer to try and reinstall windows i get a msg saying that there is a newer version of windows running.could this be because of updates that have installed on my pc or another problem.can anyone help please?

remind 10:59 21 Mar 06

you can't reinstall windows from within windows :S
you need to boot from the CD itself - depending on how your pc is set up, you may be able to boot from the CD immediately on start up - a bootable Windows CD will ask you to press a key to boot from CD and start the installation process.

lesser1010 11:04 21 Mar 06

REMIND sorry i didn't explain myself properly the msg newer version installed comes up when i put the disk in to reinstall

CLONNEN 11:14 21 Mar 06

Put Windows XP disc in cd drive

Turn your computer OFF

Switch it back on again and it should boot from the cd drive instead of the hard drive (check your BIOS settings if it still boots from the hard drive first)

Follow on-screen prompts for XP Installation

It will detect that a version of XP is already present and will ask if you want to Repair or do a New Install (try Repair first - that way you should retain your programs and other stuff)

terryf 11:20 21 Mar 06

Are you running win xp sp2 and putting a disk in which is win xp + sp1?

lesser1010 11:22 21 Mar 06

yes that's entirely possible

Eric half-bee 15:42 21 Mar 06

If you're trying to reinstall/repair/repair install etc. and you're using a disc with XP (+ SP1) you will have to uninstall SP2 first. Go to Add/Remove Programs - it's called "Windows XP Servive Pack 2".

I did this myself at the weekend - it takes bloody ages to remove SP2, repair (or whatever), reinstall SP2 and get the newest updates again.

It's a matter of personal choice, but it might be worth going for a new install (although you will lose all your data, files etc, but everything will be wonderfully clean).

woodchip 15:45 21 Mar 06

You have to remove old first unless you run repair as it may install another XP OS then you will have two

lesser1010 15:59 21 Mar 06

thanks to eric half bee and woodchip and others for help

terryf 17:05 21 Mar 06

Try this click here for the future. I found that it worked and prevents any problems with sfc (system file checker) and re-installing Windows but look at my forum posts on backup, do a forum search on terryf.

Eric half-bee 21:04 21 Mar 06

terryf
Great piece of info. I spent several hours over the weekend wondering just how this this done. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…