Can't recieve IP address

hcg 23:10 31 Aug 06

I recently got a new laptop and now want to connect it up to my wireless network, but it can't/won't aquire an IP address. It therefore aquires an autoconfiguration IP address instead, but this causes there to be "limited or no connectivity" on the network.

From what i can see, the network is trying to send out an IP address, but the laptop just won't recieve it, it continues to make the autoconfiguration one. I've disabled the firewall and made sure all the settings are correct for it to be able to connect, but still it won't work!

Please help!

skidzy 23:18 31 Aug 06

Are you using an adsl router,what model please.And your av and firewall ?

Do you have it connected by the ethernet cable ?

splatter 23:46 31 Aug 06

You could, if your router allows it, configure it so that the MAC address of the laptop is binded to a specific IP address. That way the IP isn't served dynamically (DHCP) but rather reserved for that specific NIC/Machine.

hcg 07:59 01 Sep 06

I'm using a linksys adsl router and McAfee firewall.

I've tried using a static IP address (ie typing in the address that the network is trying to send), and it works then, but if i continue to use this, will i not have to type in a new IP address when connecting to different networks?

hcg 08:08 01 Sep 06

sorry, it doesn't work when i use a static IP address, because i can't recieve any information, eventhough it says the connection is excellent.

Angiemaroni 20:04 03 Sep 06

Is your wireless system encrypted? If so set encryption to "Disabled".What make is the laptop?
Some Advent & HP types have difficulty with wireless connections due to the type of NIC used being unable to connect to encrypted networks even with use of the encryption key

hcg 01:26 04 Sep 06

Found the problem. The key was encrypted in a different way to what the laptop was automaticly set up to. Thank you everyone for helping!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…