can`t reboot after installing SP2

the lone ranger 12:59 01 Feb 05

I installed SP2 last night for my girlfriend (xp pro)and after installation the re-boot wouldn`t complete. A screen comes up saying it has recovered from a sytem failure (I think) and offers the choice to start in safe, safe with connections etc, last known good config and as normal. You guys all know what I mean I`m sure, but no matter what method I choose, the HDD has a couple of whirrs and clicks and goes back to the same menu to start-up. It won`t open in any method.
Funny thing is.....my mate also d/loaded sp2 last night and has exactly the same problem.

Thanks,
Andy

wags 13:18 01 Feb 05

I loaded SP2 from CD last night but after doing so the PC would 'hang' on loading windows and when I eventually managed to get to the desktop, none of the USB devices, including my ADSL modem would work. I did a system restore to get back to the point just before installing SP2 and all is well now.

I only attempted SP2, because I'm having problems with a game starting and it was suggested that SP2 'may' solve the problem....

So, for now I'm staying well clear of SP2 !

wags 13:20 01 Feb 05

I should have added, try getting into Safe mode first and choose system restore from there.

ACOLYTE 13:25 01 Feb 05

This doesnt help but when i installed SP2 i did it with a clean install no other programs loaded just xp,and it worked like a dream.Can you try booting from the windows cd and doing a repair? i dont know if it will work,other than that it may mean a format and reinstall.Others may know more about it,as i said i never had this problem so never had to fix it.

the lone ranger 14:15 01 Feb 05

thanks WAGS but I can`t even get it to start up in safe mode.
She didn`t have the disc so couldn`t try from that.

StuPC-2004 14:24 01 Feb 05

I had the EXACT same thing happen with mine after I tried to install, Lone Ranger. Everything seemed to go well, until I restarted my PC, and then it wouldn't boot in any mode - safe or otherwise.
I had to do a reinstall from the original Windows XP Pro installation disc.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear... :-(

ACOLYTE 14:27 01 Feb 05

You could try click here the xp boot up floppy you would need to copy it to a floppy and use it on her pc.Or this click here

scotty 14:46 01 Feb 05

Is the processor Athlon 64 bit? I recall reading about SP2 problem associated with a feature available on Athlon 64 processors. It was in a forum on this site relating to SP2 but links to it are no longer there.

the lone ranger 15:22 01 Feb 05

Not sure at this moment SCOTTY

the lone ranger 21:03 01 Feb 05

bump

TD1264 19:11 14 Feb 05

Same problem here too.
Try disconnecting anything you have attached via USB. We had (have!) same problem - after installing SP2, PC will not boot up if printer is attached via USB, just goes round the same loop.
Once we disconnected the printer it booted up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…