cant read jpegs from cd saved on old system

johnnyrocker 17:19 29 Oct 03

apologies i placed this in wrong forum (DOH)

to explain more clearly. my prev pc had win me etc, my new one has xp pro, my problem is i have a cd which i backed up pics from old pc but when placing cd in new pc i get the thumbnails but cant view them any ideas? please.
cheers.

johnny.

Gongoozler 17:30 29 Oct 03

johnny, what program are you trying to view teh jpegs in. If you don't have a suitable program (I don't know if XP has one included), then download and install Irfanview from click here

bruno 17:38 29 Oct 03

Try right clicking on the thumbnails and go to open with,select your imaging program.Hope that is the answer.

johnnyrocker 18:26 29 Oct 03

regretfully not the solution, image viewer opens and says no preview available, i do have irfan but not tried that, tried renaming to open with explorer and get a box with a red square, so went back to image viewer, tried paint and message not a valid bitmap etc.

thanks for tips folks

johnny.

Gongoozler 18:46 29 Oct 03

Hi Johnny. Are you confident that the images are valid jpegs? The "not valid bitmap" message causes some concern. If you want to e-mail me a picture to see if I can open it, send me an e-mail via the envelope icon and I'll e-mail back with my e-mail address.

Gongoozler 18:48 29 Oct 03

Another point that may be relevant, renaming a picture file doesn't change it's type. The only way is to open it in an application and resave it as a different format.

graham√ 18:52 29 Oct 03

You may have just saved the thumbnails, not the images.

johnnyrocker 19:13 29 Oct 03

re thumbnail.i hope not i really do
the pics actually have the names' thanks gongoozler i will when i get home trouble is that for the life of me i cant remember what program was used to view them in ME

cheers.
johnny.

sorry if not to good at explaining myself

johnnyrocker 20:55 29 Oct 03

BUMP

Gongoozler 21:04 29 Oct 03

johnnyrocker, a jpg picture from a 3Mp digital camera is about 1MB, so if your files are only a few tens of Bytes each, then they will be thumbnails.

jonnytub 22:07 29 Oct 03

(i read this somewhere a long time ago) it's quite possible that the cd requires finalising for xp to open it (most cd burning software offers this) although im also sure that this was only for older drives and since yours is xp then............... forget it!!! i was very nearly on a roll (downhill :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…